Displaying 5381 - 5400 of 6106 posts for this case -- (Page 270 of 306)

more on Damon Fay

Question: Damon Fay is mentioned on the Real Crimes web site at www.realcrimes.com, per the Melanie McCracken case. Melanie's mother, Nancy Grice, was questioning the fact that the NM State Police said Melanie died from a car wreck and Melanie's husband, NMState Police Sgt. Mark McCracken said Melanie died of leukemia. (It turned out neither statement was true.)

Mrs. Grice says: "I even received a call at work from APD homicide detective Damon Fay, who threatened to have me arrested for obstructing justice if I continued to question the circumstances of Melanie's death and "interfere with an on-going investigation." He told me that he certainly knew where to find me, implying that he would have me arrested at work and dragged off in handcuffs. (I'm a registered nurse and at that time was nurse supervisor at Carrie Tingly, a special needs children's hospital in Albuquerque.)"

What gave Det. Fay the right to threaten Mrs. Grice? APD wasn't even the investigating agency.

Asked on Saturday, March 03, 2007 at 01:51:54 PM
Reply: Ironically, Melanie McCracken's mother, Nancy Grice, was head nurse on the ward when Kait died. Six years later she contacted me to say, "Guess what? It's MY daughter who's been murdered now!"

The New Mexico State Police was the investigating agency. The chief of the Office of the Medical Investigator suggested that an outside law enforcement agency handle the case because the suspect, Mark McCracken, was a ranking State Police Officer. Darren White, DPS Cabinet Secretary, denied that request on the grounds that there was "no conflict of interest." Nancy was contesting that decision at the time she says she was contacted by APD Det. Damon Fay.

Freedom of Information Act

Question: You may have already addressed this before, but would it benefit you to have access to Kait's entire case file? I have been rereading John Walsh's "Tears of Rage" and in the book he tells how several newspapers fought to have his son Adam's file released to them under the FOIA. Walsh was totally against this because he thought there was still a chance that the murderer would be caught and prosecuted, and he felt the chances of that happening would be ruined if the details of the case were made public. Walsh fought, and lost, the battle to keep the case file private. He and his wife learned many many things that the PD kept from them and were shocked by some of what they read. Could doing this help Kaits case? Or maybe it has already been done. Any thoughts? Mrs Biggs

Asked on Saturday, March 03, 2007 at 06:18:37 AM
Reply: It would definitely be helpful to us to have a copy of the entire case file, but I can see no chance of our getting that.

After the arrest of the Hispanic suspects in January 1990, when Kait's case went to discovery, Kait's early case file became public record. That's when we obtained a copy of it and discovered how much information had been purged from it or altered.

Then, charges were dropped against the Hispanc suspects. The information that APD has received since then is not public record. An attorney acquired copies of some of the scene photos, (it took him literally years to get those), but photos taken at the second-day work-up are still being withheld from us.

Det. Damon Fay

Question: The statement you refer to is on pg. 74 of the paperback of who Killed My Daughter:

Robin said, "I talked to my friend Maaritza yesterday. One of the homicide detectives is a longtime buddy of hers and he told her there's just no way Kait's shooting was random He said it has the earmarks of a professional hit."

Asked on Saturday, March 03, 2007 at 06:06:30 AM
Reply: We didn't know the identity of that detective at the time. Later, I contacted Maritza, and she told me it was Damon Fay.

APD and Dung

Question: "We've taken this to everybody, all the way up the ladder. We've been told at every level that APD "owns" Kait's case, and no one can go over their heads. No one has the authority to "butt in" and question the actions of a different investigative agency."

Is the case still opened? If they closed the case can they still really "own" it?

Do you still keep contact with Dung or know what happened to him since then?

Asked on Friday, March 02, 2007 at 08:14:12 PM
Reply: Kait's case is "open" or "closed," depending upon the circumstances. If we ask for an updated copy of the case file, we can't have it because the case is "open." But the police will not investigate any of the information on this web site, because they "solved' the case by arresting the Hispanic suspects and, therefore, the case is "closed."

Either way, they "own" it.

We have had no contact with dung since Nov. 1989, when he came over to our house to pick up some of his possessions that were stored in our garage. When my book came out, he left town and went to Oregon. After the dust settled, he returned, bringing with him a new girlfriend who, people tell us, looked very much like Kait. I don't know where he is now.

former homicide detective Damen Faye

Question: I know someone who knows him well, and when I told that person that I was keeping up with this cold case, that person told me that Detective Faye had referred to Ms. Duncan as that "crazy lady" going around accusing credible police officers of being corrupt."

After reading all the history of this case, not only are the APD officers corrupt but so are the political figures that are involved.

Ever since certain legislators have retired from the legislature, they have tried keeping a low profile. Except, one of them now is caught up in some Federal investigation involving a kickback scheme in re: to the new court houses that were built in downtown Albuquerque. U.S. Attorney, Iglesias
is being dethrowned and summoned by Congress to testify about the goings on here in this illustrious city.

Asked on Friday, March 02, 2007 at 02:00:16 PM
Reply: Damon Fay talks out of two sides of his mouth.

I can't remember which page of my book this is on -- hopefully somebody who has the paperback edition of WHO KILLED MY DAUGHTER? will post that page number -- but early in that book, I describe how Maritza, a friend of Kait's sister Robin, told Robin that a homicide detective who was a personal friend had informed her that Kait was NOT the victim of a random shooting. He told her that in late July, about two weeks after the shooting.

I contacted Maritza, and she told me that the detective who told her that was Damon Fay. Maritza said, "I specifically remember him saying that the location of one of the bullets in the car indicated that the shooting was not random. That the shot had to be aimed at a target. I also recall that this bullet was found later, not during the inital investigation."

This implies that bullet was found during the second-day work-up, the report of which has been removed from Kait's case file.

So, at that point, Damon Fay did NOT think I was a "crazy lady." He agreed with me that Kait was the victim of a hit.

In light of this new information, we'd be interested in anything else that anyone out there can share with us about Damon Fay. You don't have to post it here. You can send it by personal e-mail to loisduncan@arquettes.com.

Wallace

Question: I used to belong to an internet group who made quilts for terminally ill children. One of our members was MaryAnn Wallace. I had a couple of members who were going to an event she was at ask her about this case and they said her reply to them was that she was "aware of the case."
I did not realize when I asked them to ask her about this case she was one of the first officers on the scene.

Asked on Friday, March 02, 2007 at 10:31:38 AM
Reply: It's extremely interesting that Officer Wallace would choose to distance herself from Kait's case in this way.

She was the first officer dispatched to the scene, and arrived within four minutes. She described to our private investigator how she and Det. Merriman and Paul Apodaca approached Kait's car, where they heard her "moaning and crying," and opened the passenger's door, and blood came pouring out. You'd think that would stay in her memory.

the cops

Question: It's been a while since I read the book but I remember the details pretty well. I just also read over the basics on here. My question is, and has been as I was reading this, if the cops in that area didn't want to get very involved and didn't help much how come you didn't take it up with someone higher than them? It's just horrible to know that with so much information and detail about the shooting and the events that lead to it they still labeled it as a "random drive by shooting." I'm not an investigator, and not very old to know much, but it certainly doesn't seem as random. Anyways, I am very sorry for what happened, and I really do hope that one day this crime will no longer be a mystery.

Asked on Thursday, March 01, 2007 at 05:00:18 PM
Reply: We've taken this to everybody, all the way up the ladder. We've been told at every level that APD "owns" Kait's case, and no one can go over their heads. No one has the authority to "butt in" and question the actions of a different investigative agency.

The only individual willing to become involved was the late Steve Schiff, United States Congressman from New Mexico. He wrote a letter to Attorney General Janet Reno, requesting that the Justice Department look into a possible police cover-up by APD. The assistant attorney general of the Civil Rights Division responded that the federal five-year statute of limitations prohibited their doing that.

Even so, we bless Steve Schiff every day of our lives for having made that effort.

Who Benefits?

Question: I was reading some of the insights from other posters and without having read the book (yet) am wondering (1) was Sharon directed by someone to invite Kait to dinner so an attempt (made to look like a random shooting because who would know where exactly she would be while enroute) could be made on her life whil on the way to Sharon's?, and since that attempt failed, (2) was her murder actually the 2nd attempt because the shooters would have known to where Kait was headed from Sharon's?, and (3) were Sharon's phone records ever checked?, and (4) due to the deterioration of Kait's relationship with Dung (please correct me if I am wrong), was she now considered a risk because she was no longer loyal to him and therefor was not guaranteed to keep his activities/contacts confidential?

What has been achieved by Kait's death? Silence? Status Quo? Who would benefit the most by the death of this young woman? Someone who would suffer severe consequences if she remained alive. Look to whose benefit it serves. I hope this helps. Peace. [Wolffie62]

Asked on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 at 11:48:40 PM
Reply: Very good questions.

1. I can only guess about this. But that dinner invitation has always seemed strange to me. When young single women get together, they usually go out somewhere, they don't cook Sunday night dinner for each other.

2. Absolutely, Kait was chased twice -- once on her way to Sharon's and once after she left Sharon's. Were both chases aimed at killing her? Or were the Hispanic suspects hired to chase her the first time, to try to intimidate her, and, when that didn't work, somebody else took over and "got her" after she left Sharon's, driving toward our house, where she more than likely would have told us everything?

3. Police told us that checking the calls to and from Sharon's house that night was impossible, because local phone calls were not on record.

4. That's what we think.

Too many lies in this case

Question: Someone close to me once said, "When something happens that doesn't make sense; look to whose benefit it serves." I have used this philosophy throughout my life and truth is found. I pray you and your family follow the "benefit" trail and that it leads you to the killer(s) of your precious daughter. I pray that justice is served. You have given hope to other parents and family suffering the same type of loss. Blessings and peace to you, your family and to Kait who is watching over you and sending you strength and love. [Wolffie62]

Asked on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 at 10:46:35 PM
Reply: That statement is absolutely true.

It works well in simple cases in which somebody gets rid of an unwanted spouse, inherits money, etc. Kait's case is complicated because -- as you know from reading the sections about "motives" -- Kait was in a position to destroy MANY CORRUPT PEOPLE.

A jury found APD Officer Matt Griffin, not guilty of the murder of Peter Klunck, (you can read about the Peter Klunk killing, six months before Kait was shot, at realcrmines.com), because the witnesses who testified about Griffin’s relationship with Peter had criminal records and therefore were not considered credible.

But Kait – an honor student, headed for medical school, who didn’t use drugs and had never been in trouble with the law – was the kind of witness prosecutors dreamed of.

Kait might well have testified against Officer Griffin and his cop buddies who hung out at the auto body shop on Arno where the VW bug fled after leaving the scene of Kait's murder.

And against any Vietnamese car thieves who provided Griffin with getaway cars.

She appears to have been in a position to expose an international heroin smuggling operation and possibly even link it to certain VIPs, whose names were recorded in a buried narcotics report, accessible to those in authority who were motivated to look for it.

Kait was intelligent and articulate. A jury probably would have believed her.

And so might the DEA and the FBI.

hello

Question: Hi, I was wondering when you will be adding to the Tally Keeper? Or adding new information on anything new regurading Kaits case?

Asked on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 at 04:22:41 PM
Reply: The manuscript of THE TALLY KEEPER, (the sequel to WHO KILLED MY DAUGHTER?), is -- to my mind, at least -- complete. It contains all the information we have acquired to date, some of which is on this web site and some of which isn't. Although it doesn't end as we hoped--with the arrest and conviction of Kait's killers--it does build to a strong conclusion based upon logical speculations supported by documentation.

The manuscript is now in the hands of my agent, George Nicholson, at Sterling Lord Inc. in New York. George feels the book is "solid" and even stronger than WHO KILLED MY DAUGHTER?. It's now a matter of finding the right publisher. That occurred immediately with WHO KILLED MY DAUGHTER?. It may take longer with this book, because the content is so inflammatory. The publisher's legal department will have to check it over very carefully. But I've been careful with the content and wording, and I'm certain we'll be safe from law suits. Nobody ever sued about anything in the first book, despite the fact that homicide detectives kept referring to that book as "libelous". If that was the case, why didn't the APD Legal Dept. shut the book down by threatening a law suit? The answer is, I was careful with my documentation and they knew they didn't have a leg to stand on. That's the case with this book also.

Don't ask me when it will be published. I don't know. Once the manuscript has been accepted for publication, production takes close to a year. During that time,I will be able to continue to add additional information, as we receive it. So, any of you, who have information you have been contemplating sharing with us, please, do it now. That way, we can have one of our PIs follow up on it and I can include it in the book. I give you my absolute promise--you won't be identified as the source.

This applies especially to former members of APD, who could not help us when they were in uniform but might be willing to do so now.

hello

Question: I have read your books and have currently finished ,Who Killed My Daughter?, for the second time. I am also currently doing two book reports on your book. Each time that I have read this book I become even more angry. The only question I have ever had is if Dung loved Kaitlyn as much as he has stated that he did within your book why in the world he would allow such things to go on as they did? I am deeply intrigued by your book and always have been I also feel a great sorrow for you and your family. I am a huge fan of yours. I love to read your books and I was actually turned on to reading ,Who Killed My Daughter?, because I was in fact looking for more of your works. My current english and speech teacher will be getting to hear all about this book and I hope to talk many people into reading your book so as maybe to find new leads or even questions for you all. Mrs Arquette I just want to let you know that you have inspired me to write and also that you are an inspiration to everyone to not to give up on his/her dreams. If you can go on with the dream of one day finding Kaitlyn's killers than everyone else should go on with his/her dreams. I sincerely hope that the killers will be found and tried and found guilty. email me if you would like jetblackbeauty@hotmail.com ~K~

Asked on Monday, February 26, 2007 at 08:31:51 PM
Reply: Thank you for spreading the word about Kait's case. The longer we keep this case alive, the more chance there will be of it's eventually being solved.

Hey

Question: Have you ever considered that maybe the reason to why the cops won't listen to you might be because one (if not more) is into the drug busines? I finished reading your book "Who Killed My Daughter" and that was the thought that came to my head. There has to be a reason towards why the cops won't help you. I hope you find your daughter's murderer, and when you do; I hope you write a book about it. That way you can have for sure I will be the first to read it. I love your books!!!!!!!!!! sincerely, Kitty42

Asked on Monday, February 26, 2007 at 08:49:51 AM
Reply: Your suggestion is far from impossible, Kitty. It's been verified that the cop, Matt Griffin, (the Ninja Bandit), was involved in the drug scene, and he and fellow cops hung out and partied at the auto body shop on Arno, where the VW Bug fled after the shooting.

Dominick Dunne

Question: To Kait's Mom:

I am trying to reach Dominick Dunne. What is his e-mail address?

michaelb.pence@comcast.net

Asked on Saturday, February 24, 2007 at 05:53:52 PM
Reply: I don't know Dominick Dunne's e-mail address. When I contacted him a number of years ago,I sent him a letter by snail mail c/o his publisher, and they forwarded it to him. I don't recall the name of the publisher, but you can check that out on Amazon.com.

hey

Question: why don't you ask the federal government for help or go to the fbi i mean i know you tried you said so in the book you must understand i am a huge fan and i am only 13 and i am beggining to think that the police were involved in this somehow

Asked on Saturday, February 24, 2007 at 03:39:10 PM
Reply: Since murder is not a federal crime, the FBI can't become involved in a murder investigation unless the local police department invites them in. APD has refused the help of the FBI.

Hi

Question: Hey Im reading your book \\\"Who Killed My Daughter\\\" now and Im not very far in the book but I was curious and thought I would see if they ever found who killed Kait. I am sad to find that they never did. So are you still looking for your daughters killer? Have you ever wondered if it was someone you new or someone close to Kait? Well dont ever give up in looking for her killer if your real determinded I believe that you will find the killer!!!

From, Shayna from wyoming
( email me at, angel_00_94@yahoo.com

Asked on Friday, February 23, 2007 at 03:58:10 PM
Reply: If the Vietnamese group was involved in the murder, then it might well have been someone we knew, as Dung and his friends were often over at our house. But my personal belief is that Kait was killed by a hired hitman, in which case, we wouldn't have known him.

I am sooo sad about Kait

Question: Have the cops done anything to help you find your daughter's murderer? To my opinion, what they are doing is ilegal Lois, they have to listen to your information! I think you have a lot of important facts that the cops ought to listen to. By the way, I read your book "Who Killed My Daughter" and I cryed for you (I am very sentimental about books like this). I am also your biggest fan, I have read almost all of your books, but my FAVORITE of all your fiction horror books is "The Third Eye". Don't give up on Kait, I know you will soon find her murderer. Have faith, God hears you.
your BIGGEST fan kitty42

Asked on Friday, February 23, 2007 at 10:16:41 AM
Reply: Thank you for caring, Kitty. I once believed as you do, but our family has learned the hard way that cops don't HAVE to do anything. They live by their own rules.

Please

Question: Have you ever thought coming to sun valley idaho? you could do book talks and relaxe. email me at BackFlipRidin17@aim.com

Asked on Thursday, February 22, 2007 at 06:24:04 PM
Reply: Thank you for that nice invitation. It doesn't fit into my agenda right now, but it makes me feel good to be wanted.

Sad Sorrow And guilt

Question: dear lois,

do you feel responsible for What happened? You shouldnt i keep feeling that kait still loves you.

PS: Yur my favorite author

JENNEFER

Asked on Thursday, February 22, 2007 at 06:14:53 PM
Reply: Realistically, I know that I could not have prevented Kait's murder. If she'd been open with us about what was going on in her life, we could have put her on a plane and sent her to live with friends out of state, (sort of like putting her into witness protection). But Kait was keeping secrets. We couldn't protect her from dangers we didn't know existed.

However, it's instinctive for parents to feel responsible for the safety and well-being of their children. That feeling is so ingrained that it doesn't automatically stop when those children are self-supporting and living on their own.

Thoughts From Arizona

Question: I am an avid book reader and whenever I am in a book store I go directly to the true crime section. I was skimming through the books when I came across your book; I read the back, looked at Kait's face and felt a deep sadness. Of course I bought the book and in a few days I finished it feeling just as sad as I did when I picked it up. There is nothing I can say to express my sorrow for your loss. I know what it is like to have unanswered questions about a death of a loved one. Please know that you and Kait's life have touched me and that I will be checking in frequently to see if any new evidence or leads arise. Don't give up, I feel that soon you will get all the answers. Thank you again for having the courage to write about Kait and what happened. Crystal from Arizona

Asked on Thursday, February 22, 2007 at 05:31:22 PM
Reply: Thank you for your caring message.

prayer

Question: Dear Lois,

I remember reading your books as a child,19 years later i stumbled on your website,and was very saddened at what you and your family has been through
May God bring you and your family justice,Good luck in your search and God bless

Love IK
Birmingam,United Kingdom

Asked on Thursday, February 22, 2007 at 05:21:10 AM
Reply: Thank you.

It's astonishing to me how Kait's story has spread throughout the world. As far as I know, it wasn't even published in the UK!

back 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 next