Displaying 4701 - 4720 of 5671 posts for this case -- (Page 236 of 284)

To Kait's friend Carla

Question: What an absolutely beautiful letter!

Love,
Kerry (Kait's other big sister)

Asked on Friday, July 13, 2007 at 06:52:15 AM

response to "An Old Friend"

Question: How nice that you remember Kait that way!
I miss her so much!

Love,
Robin (Kait's oldest sister)

Asked on Thursday, July 12, 2007 at 02:52:20 PM

An old friend

Question: Lois and Don:

I was thinking about Kait today and wanted to write to say how sorry I am that this case has not been solved like a great Lois Duncan book or a Cold Case episolde, but also to let you know that Kait is very much alive in my memory. I hope you all are doing well, as well as can ever be expected after your tragic loss. But what was great about Kait was her enduring spirit, her love of life and her incredible sense of humor.

I have so many memories of your home, learning to ski with your family (and Don coaxing me down a run by teaching me to snow plow); Kait's love of our dog, Clio; Sandia Prep; a trip to Disneyland together; watching movies in your den; swinging wildly into mud puddles from your tire swing. There are so many moments that I recall that bring me so much joy. It was a gift to have a friend like Kait.

While I can't offer any help on solving her murder, I can at least remember Kait as a wonderful friend with a delightful sense of humor. And I can recall your family with much love and warmth.

Wishing you the best and that someday this heinous crime can be resolved and that you have some peace of mind (not that it will ever make your loss any less horrendous).

Best to you and your whole family!

XoXo

Carla

Asked on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 at 11:19:54 PM
Reply: Thank you for sharing those happy memories, Carla. One that you neglected to mention, but which I'll never forget, is the vision of you and Kait going trick-or-treating on Halloween, and you were dressed up as a Kleenex box!

On the subject of memories, there's one that's kept nagging at my mind for all these years, because it was so out of character. A couple of days before the murder, Kait stopped by our house while her dad and I were eating dinner. She said, "I just want you to know that nobody ever had a happier childhood than I did. If I have children, I hope I can be the same kind of parent you are." Then she left.

Kait had never said such a thing to us before. In fact, it always embarrassed her when people got "slushy."

I've wondered if she subconsciously sensed that something was going to happen to her and that was the goodbye message she wanted to leave with us.

Congradulations! for being a BRAVE mom!!!!!!

Question: Have you ever tried contacting the manegr of Kaits\'s building. When you called the manger because he changed the locks he had soem information on Dung and his friends. Did you ever call him to ask some more information?

Asked on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 at 11:35:55 AM
Reply: I’m glad you’ve given me the opportunity to talk about that. So many new pieces of information have surfaced since Kait’s death, that I tend to forget the “minor” events at the beginning, which may be more significant than we ever thought.

As I describe in WHO KILLED MY DAUGHTER?, (pg. 31 of the paperback), the day after Kait died, Dung told me the apartment manager had changed the locks so he couldn’t get in. Kait had rented the apartment in her name and Dung had been staying there as her “guest.” Feeling sorry for Dung, I phoned the manager and told him Dung had our permission to stay there until the lease ran out at the end of the month.

The manager told me, “The last thing I want to do is create more problems for you, but there’s no way I’m going to let Mr. Nguyen back in there. Kait was a real sweet kid – my wife and I thought the world of her – but Nguyen and his cronies are something else.”

He told me there were times when Kait ran to their place, begging to sleep on their couch, because she was scared. She asked the manager to change the locks to keep Dung’s friends out, but those friends smashed a window and got in that way. Another time she locked Dung out, and he kicked in the door.

That information was in the apartment file. APD did not want that file. Everyone else wanted it – local reporters, the defense attorneys for the Hispanic suspects, researchers for “Unsolved Mysteries,” all were visiting the apt. office to make copies. But it wasn’t until 1992, when I told DA Bob Schwartz about the file and requested that the DA’s office obtain a copy, that APD was pressured into doing that. It’s now in Kait’s case file, unless somebody at APD has removed it.

After my book came out, I tried to interview the apartment manager in person. But he was gone. He and his wife had fled the state with no forwarding address. When I talked with the new manager, he told me Dung had tried to re-rent the apartment. When the new manager refused to rent to him, because of his former conduct, Dung had an attorney threaten a lawsuit claming “racial discrimination.”

Eventually the original manager and his wife returned to Albq. On 8/30/01, our PI finally met with them. They elaborated upon the information in the case file and also described how, the day after Kait died, Dung and his friends were out in the apartment parking lot, spray-painting a beige VW bug black. Tenants were complaining because black paint was spattering their cars. The manager reported that activity to APD. APD wasn’t interested.

This was TWO DAYS AFTER THE SHOOTING! The media was all over the case, describing how a beige VW bug was seen fleeing the crime scene and asking anyone with information about such a vehicle to contact APD immediately! The grieving lover (who, at that point was the only suspect and didn't own a car) was spray-painting a beige VW bug the next morning? Why wasn’t APD interested?

At first, the former manager and his wife agreed to sign a notarized affidavit confirming their statements. Then they abruptly changed their minds. They told our PI that they were afraid for their lives.

Any Hope?

Question: Hi I read your book and felt very sad. I was wondering do you have any hope that you will ever find out the killer. Well, I hope you do. Keep it in there I have a feeling you will find the real killer. Your a very strong mom!!!!Bravo!!!

Asked on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 at 03:56:46 PM
Reply: Thank you for your support. We're doing our best.

So sorry about Kait

Question: In your book Who Killed My daughter you mention that Dung tries to kill himself and then you went to the hospital and tried to get some information out of him. Do you think that Dung knows something that might help you find the murder? I want to say that you are a very brave mom! Keep it up!

Asked on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 at 03:01:19 PM
Reply: We are certain that Dung knows what happened to Kait. Otherwise, how could he be phoning people, hysterically telling them, "Kait's dead! They killed Kait!" hours before police allegedly "woke him up" to inform him about the murder?

Our personal belief is that Dung didn't kill Kait and didn't want her killed.

But -- yes -- he does know. Somebody stuck a knife into his stomach on the date of Kait's funeral to let him know what would happen if he talked. He survived, but that did prevent him from talking.

Just wondering...

Question: Are the police still looking for Nyugan?
I happened to be reading the paper the other day and on the front page was a boy about 10 years old who resembled Nyugan and had the same last name.

Asked on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 at 01:57:54 AM
Reply: The police have NEVER been looking for Dung Nguyen. They have no interest in anyone other than a "random drive-by shooter."

"Nguyen" is a very common Vietnamese name. Like "smith" or "Jones." (Or like "Garcia" or "Padilla" in Albuquerque.) It's doubtful that the boy in the picture was Dung's son.

tara calico

Question: This is in regard to Kelly's question about Tara Calico. I approached the new sheriff, Rene Rivera, in valencia county and asked him about this case. He said they know who did it, but they nee the body before arrests are made.
carol

Asked on Monday, July 09, 2007 at 12:24:28 PM
Reply: How do they think they're going to find a body after 18 years?

Answered by: Kait's mom

hope?

Question: Is the investigation still going? Do you still have hope that you will catch who ever did this tragic thing? god bless you and your family... your family is in my thoughts and prayers.

Asked on Monday, July 02, 2007 at 07:15:53 PM
Reply: If your question, "Is the investigation still going?", means are the POLICE still investigating, the answer is no. They dropped off the case in 1991, after the DA refused to prosecute the Hispanic suspects.

However, our personal investigation, with the use of private investigators, still continues. And we are open to any information that tipsters are willing to provide.

We KNOW there are people out there with bits and pieces of information that will fill in the gaps and make this picture complete. If they are willing to help us, we promise not to reveal their identities.

A mother

Question: That case of Bucky is sad. You know I started investigating your case because I grew intrestead in it and in you. I really do care Lois. It bothers me that there is such hate in this world. To take a strangers life like its nothing, but to be a parent and be able to be given such a privledge and then harm your own child and take their life. Why???? You hear so many stories about husbands killing their wives and mothers killing their children and now weve even got people killing the mother's of their children and their unborn babies. How do people get like this? Why do they think its ok? How do they live with themselves? I visited your other website, realcrimes.com. It's so sad to know that just in ABQ, NM there's so many unsolved stories. That's just one state.
Barbara

Asked on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 at 10:51:34 PM
Reply: I don't have answers to those questions.

Bucky Kephart ABQ Trib Article

Question: http://www.abqtrib.com/news/2006/aug/24/joline-gutierrez-krueger-sister-displays-her-to/

Hello!
It was almost totally by accident I was even at the c-store that day that I saw the ad for Bucky. I was thirsty from bike riding and I thought of going back to the hotel but I thought of getting a drink first. That was the only missing poster I saw of Bucky. It was handwritten and copied off in black and white. I am in shock that even if Bucky's body is ever found no one will ever be tried.

Another NM case that has haunted me was Tara Calico who disappeared in 1988 or 1989. The case went national when a picture was found in FLA of a boy and a young woman bound and gagged. I believe the girl in the pic is Tara. The boy was thought to Michael Heneley - who also went missing from NM, but his remains were found in 1990, so it is not him.

Yours truly, Kelly

Asked on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 at 05:43:15 PM
Reply: Tara vanished shortly before Kait was killed. Tara's mother phoned me after Kait's death, wondering if there might be a link between the two cases. We could find none.

Bucky Kephart

Question: Hi! Kelly again! Here is a link to Bucky:

He lived at 329 Texas St. SE.

Asked on Saturday, June 23, 2007 at 07:58:17 PM
Reply: What a beautiful child! And what a heartbreaking story.

An additional sickening aspect of this situation is the statement that Bucky's killer can never be brought to justice (even if he confesses) because the statute of limitations has run out. Most people believe there is no statute of limitations on murder. But law enforcement in New Mexico is different from other states. Until recently NM had a 15 year statue of limitations on murder. That law was changed just before the statute ran out on Kait's case, but Bucky died eight years before Kait did, and his case didn't make it under the wire.

Lois Duncan

Question: Hello! My name is Kelly and I am 38 years old. I have loved your books since grade school and I was horrified to learn that your daughter had been murdered. I have spent many vacations in ABQ, NM. I love the people, hospitality, food, and culture! I was visiting in August 1981 when I learned of a missing child, Barry "Bucky" Kephart. I saw a poster of him on a c-store window and something in his eyes spoke to me and he was on my mind thru the years. Last year I read on doenetwork.org that the police had determined that he was probably beaten to death by his parents then his body placed in a dumpster.
Have you heard of this case?

Asked on Saturday, June 23, 2007 at 08:15:13 AM
Reply: No, I wasn't aware of that heartbreaking case. And I'm ashamed that I wasn't.

Unless something horrible happens to OUR OWN LOVED ONES, most or us skim such stories as if they were posted for entertainment, like television dramas.

You must be an extremely sensitive and compassionate person to have absorbed that tragedy and remembered it after all these years.

I love your book!

Question: Hi Lois,

I am a lazy reader and your book is the first one that I actually finished reading without skipping any pages. I am Vietnames, and is very digusted of what my people have become. I was born and raised in Orange County and is very familiar with those address in the book. Orange County was a very dangerous place back in the late 80's and 90's. There were gangs and illegal activities everywhere. My parents were horified with all the gang activities going on there that they decided to just pick up and leave. I've had many psychic reading throughout the years by the same person in L.A. . Everything that was predicted for me has happened and it is mind blowing how accurate it was. When I read you book it seems very familiar to me because I can relate to the activities you are describing. I am sorry for what my people have shamefully done. I pray that you will have the ending soon. Orange County have a few Vietnames radio show that broadcast 24/7. Maybe you should have them read your story to the Vietnames audience. It might help. Good luck Lois.

Asked on Friday, June 22, 2007 at 04:38:00 PM
Reply: VIETNAMESE GANG ACTIVITY:

Thank you for your kind message. Since my book was published, we have heard from many fine Vietnamese people in the United States who have been so terrorized by Vietnamese gangs that they have been forced to relocate to different neighborhoods.

To quote from one of those letters:

"I am a 17-year-old girl who lives in San Diego. I am one of the Vietnamese boat people and very proud of my heritage, except I am shameful of the conduct of some of my fellow refugees. I am afraid for my life when I am in Little Saigon after dark. My mother's hairdresser was gunned down by the Vietnamese Mafia. Storekeepers close shops early for fear of being robbed and killed. The fear this community has is fear of retaliation. It's a catch 22 -- tell and hope that justice will prevail -- don't tell and keep your family alive."

We would welcome information about the situation in Albuquerque that nurtures Vietnamese gang activity. A member of APD (one of the many good cops who have secretly been trying to help us) told us the V/N power and protection come from Catholic Social Services, who have made Albuquerque a "dumping ground" for Vietnamese immigrants at the request/control of the US GVT. He also mentioned a religious/ paramilitary group that meets at a building on the corner of Virginia SE and Trumble.

WHAT IS BEHIND THIS?

Although we know from private e-mail from Vietnamese people in Albq. that Asian gang activity in the Southeast area of Albq. is deadly and on-going, those criminals seem immune to arrest.

I BEG YOU ALL, PLEASE, to go to the web site at realcrimes.com and read about the "Nathan Romero" homicide case in Albuquerque. The case detective on Nathan's case was Det. Steve Gallegos, the same detective who was lead detective in Kait's case. Gallegos quit the homicide department after having to deal with Nathan's case on top of Kait's case.

Contact

Question: I need To contact Robert Petro -I am a journalist and need help on a high profile case in England -please can you email me reedypaul@ntlworld.com

Asked on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 at 03:02:17 PM
Reply: We have not been in touch with Robert Petro for many years. We were impressed by the accuracy of his readings about Kait's case, but have not gone beyond that.

When we first had contact, he was in New Mexico. Then he moved to Arizona. The last we heard, he was in Florida.

The only advice I can offer is to Google him.

A mother

Question: Did you ever find out how he was scared off or by who? Has he said anything else to you about what happened?
Barbara

Asked on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 at 01:27:27 PM
Reply: No. He just insisted it was a car jacking and broke off contact with us.

A mother

Question: What happened to Roy Nolan????
Barbara

Asked on Monday, June 18, 2007 at 11:43:05 PM
Reply: Roy Nolan got scared off the case.

Lois

Question: Do you still live in Albequerque? If not where?

Asked on Monday, June 18, 2007 at 05:58:27 PM
Reply: We left Albuquerque after WHO KILLED MY DAUGHTER? was published and moved to the East Coast.

Dung

Question: Hi Lois! You mat know me I've written to you a lot today but I love writting and being written to. Anyway, do you believe that Dung killed Kait? If you don't do you suspect anyone of killing her?
Love, Tess
Please if you could keep in touch with me!!:-)

Asked on Monday, June 18, 2007 at 05:53:53 PM
Reply: No, I don't think Dung killed Kait. But I'm sure he was there when it happened. Otherwise he would not have been phoning people to tell them, "Kait's dead! They shot Kait!" three hours before police "woke him up" to inform him.

Reincarnation

Question: You know I do believe you as a very strong person and I thank you for teaching me how to handle death well. It must have been the hardest thing to take your own 18 year old daughter's death. That would have been so hard to get through. Do you believe that Kait was and is reincarnated? If so do you believe that she will die similarly to how Kait died? If you do believe in reincarnation what is your view on it? I'm not sure if I do believe in reincarnation because I have lots of different thoughts about it. Wouldn't you want your own soul to be it's self, rather than many other people's. That is what I don't understand.
Tess age 12
Thank you so much, you are a great listener!!!:-)

Asked on Monday, June 18, 2007 at 12:08:56 PM
Reply: Hello, Tess,

I appreciate your thoughtful questions, but I'm not in a position to answer them. Since Kait's death, I've speculated a lot about "what comes next," and I've formed some personal beliefs, but there's no way to know if I'm right. Each of us must seek our own answers in regard to the mysteries of life and death, and for you to have "lots of thoughts" on those subjects at twelve-years-old is wonderful.

back 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 next