Displaying 4681 - 4700 of 5671 posts for this case -- (Page 235 of 284)

thankyou

Question: im 12 and i wrote a report on the book by option.thank you for writing this book.when i get older i want to work for the homicide detectives.and i hope to find out who killed your daughter.please write back.www.dakkharvey@comcast.net.my name is katelyn

Asked on Monday, July 23, 2007 at 04:12:33 PM
Reply: Hello, Katelyn, (one of my favorite names, of course). It would be wonderful if police departments were filled with grown-up versions of you!

Remembering Kait

Question: I read your book about your daughter when I was 19. I am now 25 and I still have not forgotten about your daughter to this day. I am truly sorry for your loss. I don't think I will ever forget about Kait. I never knew her yet I feel like I have lossed a friend. I will always keep your family and Kait in my prayers and that one day there will be answers to the questions that so need to be answered.

Lesley Ann

Asked on Monday, July 23, 2007 at 04:03:07 PM
Reply: Thank you. I sometimes feel that Kait has acquired more friends since her death than she had when she was on this earth plane.

time - noon?

Question: Lois, you responded below,

"It occurred between the time she left our house at about noon and the point when she was killed."

and I was a bit confused because I remember you said she left your house at about 6:15 (you said in the book "60 Minutes" was on - Sharon was trying to say something different) and that was the last time you saw her.

When she left at noon, was that after she had stopped over in the morning and was at the kitchen table when you came downstairs? (going by what you said in previous posts; please correct & forgive me if I'm wrong on this.)

So she had been in and out of the house that day, right? I'm just trying to put together her steps on her final day.

As always, best to you & the family. Will be sending email regarding other topics.

Kim

Asked on Sunday, July 22, 2007 at 07:42:22 PM
Reply: On July 16, 1989, (a Sunday, so my husband and I slept later than usual), we got up to find Kait sitting at our kitchen table. She looked like she had been crying. She said she was angry with Dung and didn't want to be in the apartment.

She hung around our house all morning. Around noon, she asked me if I wanted to go to a movie with her. We consulted the ads in the paper, and there wasn't any movie I wanted to see. So she left.

During the morning, her car was parked in our driveway. My husband's pick-up truck was parked next to it, and he was working on his truck. If there had been damage to Kait's car, he would have seen it.

At about 5 p.m. Kait phoned me from her apartment. She was there alone, changing her clothes to go to Sharon's. At 6 p.m., Kait stopped back by our house, allegedly on her way to Sharon's. At that time we were inside the house and did not see her car. So it's not impossible that the rear-end damage might have occurred during the afternoon. However, it's very unlikely. The car was registered in our name. If somebody had rear-ended it, Kait would have told us, since we would be the ones to file for the insurance.

hello

Question: Hello Mrs. Arquette, I am so sorry about your family's loss. I am re-reading your book for the millonth time, and I am on chapter 5. I was wondering after all of these years, how does your son Brett feel about Dung, considering in the beginning, he was defending him. Also, has anything new come out of Kait's case, are you any closer to finding answers for your daughter? And how is your sequal to this story comming? Any closer to having it published, I can't wait to read all of the new info you have stumbled upon. Maybe with this new book comming out, it will give someone the courrage to come forward and talk. Hope you and your family are well. Take Care

Asked on Saturday, July 21, 2007 at 09:37:21 PM
Reply: Brett has definitely changed his mind about Dung. I, too, hope the book will help.

PIT maneuver

Question: That's what it sounded like to me when I read about the rear-end damage. I watch cop shows like "World's Wildest Police Videos" and that's one of their maneuvers.

Asked on Friday, July 20, 2007 at 08:22:59 PM
Reply: It is not a maneuver drunks could or would use during a 'random drive-by shooting." Once Kait's car ended up in the other lane, up against a pole, the killer would have had to get out of his own car and approach her car on foot in order to fire through the driver's window.

PIT technique of forcing cars off the road

Question: I'm fascinated by this and trying to follow it. What might this mean for Kait's case?

Asked on Friday, July 20, 2007 at 03:03:27 PM
Reply: One (just one) of the crime scene photos we were able to get from the APD photo lab, showed damage to the left corner of the rear bumper of Kait's car. It's not easy to see in that badly lighted photo, but it's definitely there.

Days after the shooting, the case detective, Steve Gallegos, asked Kait's dad, "Is the rear-end damage old damage?" Don said, "Yes," because he wasn't shown the picture. He assumed Gallegos was referring to the trunk.

Kait's boyfriend accidentally had closed the trunk with the car keys inside and had pried the trunk open to retrieve them. That car belonged to us -- we just let Kait use it -- and we told Kait that we wouldn't finance the repair. Since Dung did the damage, he would have to get it fixed. In the meantime, he tied the trunk lid down with a rope.

That's the damage Don thought Det. Gallegos was referring to.

The damage to the bumper was not there earlier in the day when Kait was over at our house. It occurred between the time she left our house at about noon and the point when she was killed.

The fact that knowlegable outside investigators, who have reviewed the scene photos, have kept pointing out the damage to the bumper as significant has bewildered me. Especially a highly respected member of the Bernalillo Cold Case squad, (a personal friend of our PI, who agreed to review the APD scene reports and photos and render an unofficial opinion).

1/30/2003

On the basis of review of available material in the matter of the death of Kaitlyn Arquette, the following observations are made:

1) This was not a random drive-by shooting

2) The shooting occurred after Kaitlyn's vehicle had struck the utility pole

3) The accuracy of the shots suggests they were fired at a very close range, at a non-moving target.

4) Had the shooting taken place while victim's car was in motion, it would have veered to the right of the roadway due to the left-to-right camber of the pavement. Also, the victim's falling to the right would have turned the steering wheel in that direction if she was grasping the steering wheel at the time of shooting.

5) Damage to the left end of the rear bumper suggests the rear of her vehicle was struck and pushed to the left by a second vehicle which veered her car across the median and into the utility pole.

6) This shooting was intentional and Ms. Arquette was the specific target.

I didn't understand #5. It seemed to me that if someone hit Kait's car on the left side, it would veer to the right. Instead, it veered to the left.

It was JUST TODAY, that I followed up on information from someone on this message board and used Google to search such subjects as "Rammed from Behind," (you can imagine the pages that took me to). But I also learned about the PIT technique for forcing cars off the road. Taught to police. Known by some criminals. But not employed in "random drive-by shootings."

We never were able to get copies of photos of the second-day work up on Kait's car. The supervisor of the APD photo lab originally told us there were nine rolls of negatives. Once we placed a legal request for access to them, she told us that five rolls of negatives had suddenly disappeared. "I don't understand what's going on," she said. "We don't have the things we ought to have."

ALL reports of the second day work-up on Kait's car also mysteriously vanished. We never have understood why. The Criminalistics Supervisor in charge of Kait's scene, who has now left APD, has told our PI that reports were sent to the case detectives and the records department. He couldnít imagine why they werenít in Kaitís case file. What was discovered during that work-up that wasn't wanted known by particular people who were in a position to remove them from both the case file and the photo lab?

Now that I've belatedly learned about the PIT technique, I can only speculate that those reports and well-lighted photos might have indicated that Kait's car was forced off the road by someone who was trained in the PIT technique.

the PIT technique

Question: If the PIT technique was used to force Kait off the road, it sounds like a cop car was involved.

Asked on Thursday, July 19, 2007 at 12:52:06 PM
Reply: It would seem to suggest that.

damage to Kait's left bumper

Question: You said that that crime scene photos show damage to the left corner of Kait's rear bumper. That suggests that someone rammed her from behind and forced her off the road.

But if she was hit on the left side of the bumper, wouldn't her car veer to the right? Instead it veered left, crossed the medium, and ended up on the side walk in the opposite lane. How could that happen?

Asked on Thursday, July 19, 2007 at 12:22:18 PM
Reply: I was confused by that too, until I found a Web site that explained it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PIT_maneuver
It even has a diagram to show how it's done.

The PIT maneuver (also called tactical ramming) is a method, popular with US police departments, by which one car pursuing another can force the pursued vehicle to abruptly turn sideways to the direction of travel, causing the driver to lose control and stop.

"The PIT begins when the pursuing vehicle pulls alongside the fleeing vehicle so that the portion of the pursuer's vehicle forward of the front wheels is aligned with the portion of the target vehicle behind the back wheels. The pursuer gently makes contact with the target's side, then steers sharply into the target. As soon as the fleeing vehicle's rear tires lose traction and start to skid, the pursuer brakes quickly while continuing to turn in the same direction until clear of the target. The target will turn in the opposite direction, in front of the pursuer, and will either spin out or abruptly exit the roadway."

Police departments give courses in how to use the PIT technique.

Kait

Question: I am very happy to see that the Albuquerque Tribune wrote an article about Kait, so the case won't be forgotten in Albuquerque. I also want to thank the person who let everybody know about it on the message board. I hope and pray that somebody will finally talk and the case can be solved. If Sharon knows anything, I don't know how she can live with herself knowing how you suffer. And the same goes for Dung, you fed him and were nice to him and he payed you back like that. But you know, they will have to answer for that one day. God bless you and give you the strength to keep on going.

Asked on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 at 04:52:40 PM
Reply: The media has been very, very good to us. They haven't let Kait's case die. As for Sharon and Dung, yes, both of them know what happened. But I have more hope of Sharon contacting us than Dung. Sharon was, in a way, a victim also. Dung was not.

NEW ARTICLE ABOUT KAIT IN TRIBUNE

Question: The Sept. 18, 2007, issue of the Albuquerque Tribune has an article by Joline Gutierrez Krueger: "Victims' families want closure to cold cases," which features Kait's case and one other.

You can read it on line at www.abqtrib.com/news/2007/jul/18/joline-gutierrez-krueger-victims-families-want-clo/

That page also includes links to previous articles about Kait's murder.

Asked on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 at 11:34:35 AM
Reply: Joline is an excellent writer, dedicated to keeping victims' stories alive.

Still thinking of your family and Kait

Question: I know that today has to be one of the toughest days of the year, and you are in my thoughts and prayers more than ever. I first picked up your book many years ago, and when I stumbled across it more recently, I was sure that there must have been justice by now. It's heartbreaking to know that Kait's story isn't even one-of-a-kind, but that police departments all over the country (and world) have coverups. Yet the world has not forgotten and there is still hope. I hope that justice will prevail.

Asked on Monday, July 16, 2007 at 12:52:32 PM
Reply: Whether justice prevails or not, we need to know the truth about what happened and the reason for an apparent cover-up.

To the Arquette Family

Question: My thoughts, prayers, hopes, and dreams of justice are with you during such a rough time of year.

Be strong, stand firm and keep fighting for the truth.

Asked on Monday, July 16, 2007 at 11:22:15 AM
Reply: Thank you. We will do that.

Thinking of you...

Question: Hello, this is Kirsten, I just wanted to let you know that my heart is with all of you tomorrow and you are in my prayers.
(*hugs*)

Asked on Sunday, July 15, 2007 at 08:45:57 PM
Reply: Thank you for your caring, Kirsten.

It seems impossible that today is the 18-year anniversary of the shooting. We've now been without Kait for the same length of time that we had her.

Yet it seems like yesterday that the phone rang in the night and we were called to the hospital to watch her die.

It also seems impossible that with a best selling book, national TV shows, and reams of information from tipsters, crime scene analysts and private investigators, certain members of the police department have managed to block the investigation of this case for this long.

On July 16, 2004, The Albuquerque Tribune quoted the new APD Cold Case Detective, Don Roberts, as saying:

"It's absolutely an open case. It absolutely will be worked. It's of great interest to me. It's on my desk right now. It's probably the biggest case that I have." Unlike his predecessors, Roberts was open to new input and willing to meet with our private investigator and follow up on her new information. But as soon as he started to make arrangements to interview Paul Apodaca, (the first man at the scene, who was never interviewed by APD), he was transferred out of the Cold Case Squad and placed in the Pedophile Unit.

We don't believe that was coincidence.

On this heartbreaking anniversary, we beg honest police officers with knowledge about this cover-up, to contact us either on this board or by private e-mail, and tell us the reasons for it and who is behind it. We promise to protect your identities. We know how much courage it will take to break the Blue Code of Silence, and we would never put someone who was willing to do that in danger.

Answered by: Kait's parents

??

Question: Has anyone given you any information or is the public to chicken to give out information?

Asked on Saturday, July 14, 2007 at 09:40:07 AM
Reply: A number of people have contacted us with information that our private investigators have followed up on and verified.

Robin? Kerry?

Question: Are Robin and Kerry doing anything? Or have they lost their hopes?

Asked on Saturday, July 14, 2007 at 09:36:14 AM
Reply: None of us has lost hope, but we've all moved on with our lives, despite the fact that our personal investigation continues.

Robin's home page is www.lullabysongs.net. There, you'll be able to listen to excerpts from her musical CDs for children.

Kerry's home page is www.cantatabooks.com. She and her business partner are co-owners of Cantata Publishing and specialize in books about scrapbooking.

My "Lois Duncan" home page is at http://loisduncan.arquettes.com. That's mostly for young readers who are interested in my suspense novels and professional life.

wat happend to dung?

Question: wat happened to dung? i heard he killed himself

Asked on Friday, July 13, 2007 at 11:44:20 AM
Reply: If Dung's dead, I don't know about it.

Following Kait's funeral, he was stabbed in the stomach. He survived and healed quickly. He told police he attempted suicide because of grief and because he believed that he was a suspect in Kait's murder.

Our family doesn't accept that for several reasons:

(1) Stabbing yourself in the stomach is not a common way to commit suicide -- if you're going to use a knife, why not make it less painful and slit your wrists?

(2) A Vietnamese intelligence agent contacted us to say, ďTo kill oneself violates the first rule of Confucius. The Pious rule is basic in Vietnamese and Chinese culture, unlike the Japanese hara-kiri. My guess is that the boyfriend belonged to a gang, and Kait was a threat in some way so she was killed. Itís possible that the stabbing was a self inflicted punishment order or carried out by the gang to punish the boyfriend for putting the gang in jeopardy. Self mutilation as a punishment for infractions is not unknown in the Vietnamese culture."

(3) Dung was not so grief-stricken that he didn't have another lady-friend within weeks of his recovery.

sorry for what happned

Question: im really sorry for what happened to kait. i really didnt kno of this until one day in school we started an author study on lois dunca. then i decided to read the book who killed my daghter. it was a real good book by da way. and then i decided to look into thins on the computer and kait was real pretty by da way. i hope u will solve this mystery soon. i kno u wont give up. i kno its been a long time already but i kno u will find out soon. by the way dont belive in the phycics they lie... a lot lol but n e wayz good luck

Asked on Friday, July 13, 2007 at 11:41:31 AM
Reply: You're correct, a lot of people who profess to be psychics are con artists, ripping off desperate people made vulnerable by grief. And many others, although not intentionally dishonest, are not as gifted as they think they are. Often times the information they receive doesn't come through clearly and they misinterpret it and inadvertently steer people in the wrong direction.

Because I was, in 1989, a contributing editor for Woman's Day and was able to get an assignment to interview the top psychic detectives in the nation, we were fortunate enough to have access to psychics that I, personally, believe are authentically gifted. These were people who worked with police and/or the FBI and had excellent track records.

Even so, we've never treated psychic readings as "solid information." We've treated them just as we have information from other "tipsters" -- helpful, but not to be accepted as valid until they've been proven to be true.

Similar Case

Question: Dear Ms Arquette
As I read your tragic story, I couldn't help but remember another case I read about. They may not be connected at all, but then again, it wouldn't hurt to look into it. I learned of this other case in a book: "Boys on the Tracks" by Mara Leveritt. These boys were murdered when they happened upon a drug drop in Arkansas. Ms. Leveritt, who is an investigative reporter and one of the boy's mothers found a connection to the CIA, and MENA. This led all the way up to then Gov Clinton.
The book documents the research and evidence and who was involved much better than I can say here. You mention a network between California, New Mexico and Texas. Arkansas is just over the state line from Texas, if I am not mistaken.
I think even if there is no connection between the cases, still you are involved in a similar fight and perhaps can help each other with ways & means you have used to get at the truth.
I deeply hope that some day the truth will be uncovered.
[From Adrienne]

Asked on Friday, July 13, 2007 at 07:08:36 AM
Reply: I'll definitely read this book. Thank you for letting me know about it.

back 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 next