Displaying 4501 - 4520 of 5499 posts for this case -- (Page 226 of 275)

The Tallykeeper

Question: Ms. Duncan, do you have any idea when The Tallykeeper will be done? I am very anxious to read it.

Asked on Monday, July 30, 2007 at 07:21:54 PM
Reply: I keep adding more to it as more events take place and more information comes in. Each time I think it's finished, something new happens, and I need to go back and add that to the manuscript.

Kait

Question: Ok, I was wondering why in your book is there no refrence to Damon Faye?

Asked on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 at 04:31:46 PM
Reply: I never referred to Damon Fay in WHO KILLED MY DAUGHTER because we never had any contact with him.

On pg. 74 of the paperback edition, I quote our oldest daughter Robin as saying, "I talked with my friend Maritza yesterday. One of the homicide detectives is a longtime buddy of hers, and he told her there just no way Kait's shooting was 'random.' He said it has the earmarks of a professional hit."

I didn't identify that detective by name in my book, because I didn't know who he was.

Then, after my book was published, I was contacted by several mothers of other young people murdered in Albuquerque, telling me how Det. Damon Fay kept telling them that they were "just like that crazy Arquette woman" because they were questioning the police investigation. I still didn't link him to Kait's case -- just thought he was someone who had been misled by his colleagues and was quoting people involved in the cover-up.

Then, several years later, Robin regained touch with her friend, Maritza, who had married and moved out of state, and gave me Maritza's new e-mail address. I wrote to Maritza and asked her who the detective was who had told her Kait was the victim of a "professional hit."

She told me his name was "Damon Fay" and "I specifically remember him saying that the location of one of the bullets in the car indicated that the shooting was not random. That the shot had to be aimed at a target. I also recall that this bullet was found later, not during the inital investigation."

That bullet must have been fund during the second-day work-up that everyone except the Criminalistics Dept. denies took place. The Criminalistics Supervisor, (no longer with APD), told our PI that reports of that work-up were sent to the case detectives and the APD records department. Those have mysteriously vanished. And the photos from the second-day work-up have vanished from the APD photo lab.

hello

Question: Hello Arquettes!! Hope you all are doing well. I am currently reading your book (again) and again, I can't seem to put it down. Every time I read it, I find something I had missed before. Anyhow, I was wondering if Mike from the Journal is still helping with your case? I am a resident of Albuquerque, and I am appaled at the lack of intrest this police dept. has taken on your behalf. I have two sons, although they are young, I cannot immagine loosing either one of them. After all of these years, have any of the police come forward to speak with your family reguarding Kait's case, and have any of them had any useful information that could help resolve this case?. I had read your book probbably about 10 years ago for the first time, and I've always thought that the hit against your daughter in someway involved the police. Although I had never considered that the acutual person that shot her, had been a cop, now it does seem probable. Although I have no information to help you, you and your family are in my prayers, and have passed on your book to a number of friends that are just as shocked of many of us on this site. Do you ever return to Albuquerque? Oh one more thing before I close, Has anything come up reguarding Manny Aaragons involvement in this case since he was charged earlier this year?

Asked on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 at 04:11:18 PM
Reply: So many good questions! I'll take them in order:

Mike Gallagher at the Albuquerque Journal remains a friend and supporter. But he is allowed to write only about subjects his editor assigns.

Joline Gutierrez Krueger at the Albuquerque Tribune is allowed much more freedom and she has kept Kait's case alive in Albq.

As for the police -- they want nothing to do with us. When an honest and dedicated former-cop, Don Roberts, was recruited as a member of APD's new Cold Case Squad and was quoted by a reporter as wanting to reopen Kait's case and work with our private investigator to use her new information to help solve it, he was transferred out of the Cold Case Squad. His loss was a terrible blow to us.

Manny Aragon has never been officially linked to any homicide case.

Why is justice on the west coast so slack?

Question: I would like to know why justice west of the Mississippi River is so much more slack than on the east coast? Think about Kaitlyn, JonBenet Ramsey,
Nicole Simpson, and Dominique Dunne's daughter. What is wrong with justice? Are investigators totally naive? I would be so mad and worried if I lived in these communities.
Crime is rampant in places like Seattle. Please respond if you think I am off base in these ideas.

Asked on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 at 09:50:08 AM
Reply: I don't know that it's really more rampant in the western part of our country. There's a lot of police corruption in the east as well. It's true that, we, personally, have been contacted about more such cases in the West, but that could be only because Kait's murder occurred in New Mexico and the families of the victims in the Southwest are the ones who see us as possible advocates.

Haunting Evidence...again!

Question: I was reading up on the show, and came across this on the Carla Baron message board:

"Here is the official announcement on case submission guidelines for possible inclusion on Court TV's "Haunting Evidence":

Submit your case files directly to producer, Tim Robbins, of Departure Films - evidence@departure-films.com

(PLEASE - submissions should only be made by immediate family, and/or law enforcement directly assigned to each investigation.)

This is the proper way for the cases to be considered since Carla has no authoritative say in the selection process for cases profiled on future episodes of "Haunting Evidence."

This is the direct responsibility of the show's producers and the production executives @ Court TV."

So there's a second way to submit a request. I would think this would be a particularly interesting case, given the apparent APD involvement/coverup aspect. I have seen Court TV cover cases of bad cops before.

Good luck!

Asked on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 at 08:08:18 AM
Reply: I'm so glad you posted that. Because, although "Haunting Evidence" is probably not right for Kait's case, it could be a Godsend for other cases. We're in contact with many other families of murdered children and will share that information with them.

Haunting Evidence?

Question: Several months ago, I posted here about a new show on Court TV called Haunting Evidence. I just wondered if you ever checked into having them look at this case. At the time the show was brand new, but there is now a link on the website for contacting them.

Apologies for the length of the link. If I knew how to do a tinyurl, I would.

Kait's death haunts me. I was still in ABQ when it happened, and although I moved away about six months later, I have never forgotten it. Blessings to you and your family in your search.

Asked on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 at 07:32:09 AM
Reply: Thank you for providing the link. I visited the Web site, but we don't have the right case for that kind of show. They want cases that other psychic detectives haven't worked on, and we've already used some of the best psychic detectives in the nation. Also, Kait's case has been featured on SIGHTINGS, which thoroughly covered the psychic angle, so their coverage would be redundant.

But, most important, psychic information is only of value if the case investigators take it seriously and follow up on the psychic tips. APD won't even accept physical evidence like the damaged bumper indicating the PIT maneuver was used on Kait's car.

martha moxley

Question: do you know the story of Martha Moxley? she was killed in 1975. Skakel did get sentenced in 2002 so in other words justice can still happen. you as a writer i am sure knows mark fuhrman. Fuhrman got involved with the moxley investigation and it was solved. do you think you could get in touch with him?

Asked on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 at 06:21:36 PM
Reply: Mark Fuhrman is in great demand, overloaded with projects, and has proved impossible to reach.

I'ts 2007

Question: Hello. i was wondering if there has been anything happen with this case? It's 2007 now. I just read the book today and I want justice for this woman. I do understand how a loved one can be taken away and no one pay for the crime

Asked on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 at 06:10:22 PM
Reply: Yes, it's now 2007. Yet the very same people who knew who killed Kait back in 1989 STILL KNOW IT!!! And, by this time, additional people are bound to know it, because guilty people talk. They get drunk and talk to bartenders. They confide in their girlfriends, and later break up with those girlfriends. Honest cops, who were restricted by the Blue Code of Silence while they were on the force, retire and feel free to do what their consciences tell them is right.

Every morning when I pull up my e-mail my heart beats faster because THE ANSWER MAY BE THERE.

thankyou

Question: im 12 and i wrote a report on the book by option.thank you for writing this book.when i get older i want to work for the homicide detectives.and i hope to find out who killed your daughter.please write back.www.dakkharvey@comcast.net.my name is katelyn

Asked on Monday, July 23, 2007 at 04:12:33 PM
Reply: Hello, Katelyn, (one of my favorite names, of course). It would be wonderful if police departments were filled with grown-up versions of you!

Remembering Kait

Question: I read your book about your daughter when I was 19. I am now 25 and I still have not forgotten about your daughter to this day. I am truly sorry for your loss. I don't think I will ever forget about Kait. I never knew her yet I feel like I have lossed a friend. I will always keep your family and Kait in my prayers and that one day there will be answers to the questions that so need to be answered.

Lesley Ann

Asked on Monday, July 23, 2007 at 04:03:07 PM
Reply: Thank you. I sometimes feel that Kait has acquired more friends since her death than she had when she was on this earth plane.

time - noon?

Question: Lois, you responded below,

"It occurred between the time she left our house at about noon and the point when she was killed."

and I was a bit confused because I remember you said she left your house at about 6:15 (you said in the book "60 Minutes" was on - Sharon was trying to say something different) and that was the last time you saw her.

When she left at noon, was that after she had stopped over in the morning and was at the kitchen table when you came downstairs? (going by what you said in previous posts; please correct & forgive me if I'm wrong on this.)

So she had been in and out of the house that day, right? I'm just trying to put together her steps on her final day.

As always, best to you & the family. Will be sending email regarding other topics.

Kim

Asked on Sunday, July 22, 2007 at 07:42:22 PM
Reply: On July 16, 1989, (a Sunday, so my husband and I slept later than usual), we got up to find Kait sitting at our kitchen table. She looked like she had been crying. She said she was angry with Dung and didn't want to be in the apartment.

She hung around our house all morning. Around noon, she asked me if I wanted to go to a movie with her. We consulted the ads in the paper, and there wasn't any movie I wanted to see. So she left.

During the morning, her car was parked in our driveway. My husband's pick-up truck was parked next to it, and he was working on his truck. If there had been damage to Kait's car, he would have seen it.

At about 5 p.m. Kait phoned me from her apartment. She was there alone, changing her clothes to go to Sharon's. At 6 p.m., Kait stopped back by our house, allegedly on her way to Sharon's. At that time we were inside the house and did not see her car. So it's not impossible that the rear-end damage might have occurred during the afternoon. However, it's very unlikely. The car was registered in our name. If somebody had rear-ended it, Kait would have told us, since we would be the ones to file for the insurance.

hello

Question: Hello Mrs. Arquette, I am so sorry about your family's loss. I am re-reading your book for the millonth time, and I am on chapter 5. I was wondering after all of these years, how does your son Brett feel about Dung, considering in the beginning, he was defending him. Also, has anything new come out of Kait's case, are you any closer to finding answers for your daughter? And how is your sequal to this story comming? Any closer to having it published, I can't wait to read all of the new info you have stumbled upon. Maybe with this new book comming out, it will give someone the courrage to come forward and talk. Hope you and your family are well. Take Care

Asked on Saturday, July 21, 2007 at 09:37:21 PM
Reply: Brett has definitely changed his mind about Dung. I, too, hope the book will help.

PIT maneuver

Question: That's what it sounded like to me when I read about the rear-end damage. I watch cop shows like "World's Wildest Police Videos" and that's one of their maneuvers.

Asked on Friday, July 20, 2007 at 08:22:59 PM
Reply: It is not a maneuver drunks could or would use during a 'random drive-by shooting." Once Kait's car ended up in the other lane, up against a pole, the killer would have had to get out of his own car and approach her car on foot in order to fire through the driver's window.

PIT technique of forcing cars off the road

Question: I'm fascinated by this and trying to follow it. What might this mean for Kait's case?

Asked on Friday, July 20, 2007 at 03:03:27 PM
Reply: One (just one) of the crime scene photos we were able to get from the APD photo lab, showed damage to the left corner of the rear bumper of Kait's car. It's not easy to see in that badly lighted photo, but it's definitely there.

Days after the shooting, the case detective, Steve Gallegos, asked Kait's dad, "Is the rear-end damage old damage?" Don said, "Yes," because he wasn't shown the picture. He assumed Gallegos was referring to the trunk.

Kait's boyfriend accidentally had closed the trunk with the car keys inside and had pried the trunk open to retrieve them. That car belonged to us -- we just let Kait use it -- and we told Kait that we wouldn't finance the repair. Since Dung did the damage, he would have to get it fixed. In the meantime, he tied the trunk lid down with a rope.

That's the damage Don thought Det. Gallegos was referring to.

The damage to the bumper was not there earlier in the day when Kait was over at our house. It occurred between the time she left our house at about noon and the point when she was killed.

The fact that knowlegable outside investigators, who have reviewed the scene photos, have kept pointing out the damage to the bumper as significant has bewildered me. Especially a highly respected member of the Bernalillo Cold Case squad, (a personal friend of our PI, who agreed to review the APD scene reports and photos and render an unofficial opinion).

1/30/2003

On the basis of review of available material in the matter of the death of Kaitlyn Arquette, the following observations are made:

1) This was not a random drive-by shooting

2) The shooting occurred after Kaitlyn's vehicle had struck the utility pole

3) The accuracy of the shots suggests they were fired at a very close range, at a non-moving target.

4) Had the shooting taken place while victim's car was in motion, it would have veered to the right of the roadway due to the left-to-right camber of the pavement. Also, the victim's falling to the right would have turned the steering wheel in that direction if she was grasping the steering wheel at the time of shooting.

5) Damage to the left end of the rear bumper suggests the rear of her vehicle was struck and pushed to the left by a second vehicle which veered her car across the median and into the utility pole.

6) This shooting was intentional and Ms. Arquette was the specific target.

I didn't understand #5. It seemed to me that if someone hit Kait's car on the left side, it would veer to the right. Instead, it veered to the left.

It was JUST TODAY, that I followed up on information from someone on this message board and used Google to search such subjects as "Rammed from Behind," (you can imagine the pages that took me to). But I also learned about the PIT technique for forcing cars off the road. Taught to police. Known by some criminals. But not employed in "random drive-by shootings."

We never were able to get copies of photos of the second-day work up on Kait's car. The supervisor of the APD photo lab originally told us there were nine rolls of negatives. Once we placed a legal request for access to them, she told us that five rolls of negatives had suddenly disappeared. "I don't understand what's going on," she said. "We don't have the things we ought to have."

ALL reports of the second day work-up on Kait's car also mysteriously vanished. We never have understood why. The Criminalistics Supervisor in charge of Kait's scene, who has now left APD, has told our PI that reports were sent to the case detectives and the records department. He couldnít imagine why they werenít in Kaitís case file. What was discovered during that work-up that wasn't wanted known by particular people who were in a position to remove them from both the case file and the photo lab?

Now that I've belatedly learned about the PIT technique, I can only speculate that those reports and well-lighted photos might have indicated that Kait's car was forced off the road by someone who was trained in the PIT technique.

the PIT technique

Question: If the PIT technique was used to force Kait off the road, it sounds like a cop car was involved.

Asked on Thursday, July 19, 2007 at 12:52:06 PM
Reply: It would seem to suggest that.

damage to Kait's left bumper

Question: You said that that crime scene photos show damage to the left corner of Kait's rear bumper. That suggests that someone rammed her from behind and forced her off the road.

But if she was hit on the left side of the bumper, wouldn't her car veer to the right? Instead it veered left, crossed the medium, and ended up on the side walk in the opposite lane. How could that happen?

Asked on Thursday, July 19, 2007 at 12:22:18 PM
Reply: I was confused by that too, until I found a Web site that explained it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PIT_maneuver
It even has a diagram to show how it's done.

The PIT maneuver (also called tactical ramming) is a method, popular with US police departments, by which one car pursuing another can force the pursued vehicle to abruptly turn sideways to the direction of travel, causing the driver to lose control and stop.

"The PIT begins when the pursuing vehicle pulls alongside the fleeing vehicle so that the portion of the pursuer's vehicle forward of the front wheels is aligned with the portion of the target vehicle behind the back wheels. The pursuer gently makes contact with the target's side, then steers sharply into the target. As soon as the fleeing vehicle's rear tires lose traction and start to skid, the pursuer brakes quickly while continuing to turn in the same direction until clear of the target. The target will turn in the opposite direction, in front of the pursuer, and will either spin out or abruptly exit the roadway."

Police departments give courses in how to use the PIT technique.

Kait

Question: I am very happy to see that the Albuquerque Tribune wrote an article about Kait, so the case won't be forgotten in Albuquerque. I also want to thank the person who let everybody know about it on the message board. I hope and pray that somebody will finally talk and the case can be solved. If Sharon knows anything, I don't know how she can live with herself knowing how you suffer. And the same goes for Dung, you fed him and were nice to him and he payed you back like that. But you know, they will have to answer for that one day. God bless you and give you the strength to keep on going.

Asked on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 at 04:52:40 PM
Reply: The media has been very, very good to us. They haven't let Kait's case die. As for Sharon and Dung, yes, both of them know what happened. But I have more hope of Sharon contacting us than Dung. Sharon was, in a way, a victim also. Dung was not.

NEW ARTICLE ABOUT KAIT IN TRIBUNE

Question: The Sept. 18, 2007, issue of the Albuquerque Tribune has an article by Joline Gutierrez Krueger: "Victims' families want closure to cold cases," which features Kait's case and one other.

You can read it on line at www.abqtrib.com/news/2007/jul/18/joline-gutierrez-krueger-victims-families-want-clo/

That page also includes links to previous articles about Kait's murder.

Asked on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 at 11:34:35 AM
Reply: Joline is an excellent writer, dedicated to keeping victims' stories alive.

Still thinking of your family and Kait

Question: I know that today has to be one of the toughest days of the year, and you are in my thoughts and prayers more than ever. I first picked up your book many years ago, and when I stumbled across it more recently, I was sure that there must have been justice by now. It's heartbreaking to know that Kait's story isn't even one-of-a-kind, but that police departments all over the country (and world) have coverups. Yet the world has not forgotten and there is still hope. I hope that justice will prevail.

Asked on Monday, July 16, 2007 at 12:52:32 PM
Reply: Whether justice prevails or not, we need to know the truth about what happened and the reason for an apparent cover-up.

back 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 next