Displaying 4441 - 4460 of 5388 posts for this case -- (Page 223 of 270)

kait

Question: Could you tell us which parts of "Who killed my daughter" turned out to be significant? I keep re-reading the book and enjoy it every time. I also got your new book from Amazon and it is wonderful. Like the person in the last message said, you laugh and cry and you feel like you know you.

Asked on Thursday, June 14, 2007 at 04:10:08 PM
Reply: One example:

Pg. 40 of paperback: "The Albuquerque police were represented by six motorcycle officers, more than the usual escort complement. 'It is important that we come out and show that we do care,' said traffic Sgt. John B. Gallegos." (This is John, not to be confused with the case detective, Steve Gallegos.)

Why did John Gallegos think it was so important to convince the public that police "DO care" about this one particular murder victim?

Who was this John B. Gallegos? Was he in some way connected to the investigation of Kait's case? If so, why, if he was just a traffic officer?

When examining police reports, we discovered that John G. was already at the scene when the Criminalistics Unit arrived and "assisted with the scene investigation." He was the one who defined the crime scene to Criminalistics, who arrived there late, having been to another crime scene first. John G. told Criminalistics about the location of the "pile of broken glass" that was used to determine the spot where Kait was shot. (The Criminalistics team didn't see any broken glass. That's why it was never photographed. They just took John G's word for its existence, and therefore it was assumed that Kait was shot while driving and not by someone who approached her car on foot after it was rammed from behind, went out of control and hit a post.)

John B. Gallegos's name was withheld from the list of officers at the scene. Why?

He later was arrested for robbing a liquor store while on duty.

A year after that he got fired from APD.

So, how much credence can we give the scene reports, with a man like that responsible for influencing the content? What was he DOING THERE in the first place?

This raises a lot of questions that had not occurred to us when I wrote that book.

Seasons of the Heart

Question: I got your new book from Amazon and laughed and cried all thru it. After reading that I feel like I'm a part of your family. That last picture of you alone on the beach made me cry.

Asked on Thursday, June 14, 2007 at 03:42:45 PM
Reply: I'm not a spring chicken anymore, as that photo clearly showed. Aging is a fact of life. It's not pleasant, but the alternative is worse. I wish Kait had been given that opportunity.

Thank you for reading that book and relating to our family.

Kaitlyn

Question: I have read the book about 3-4 times and each time I read it I see something I missed before. I just wanted to tell you I think it is wonderful that you and your family have never stopped looking for answers. I wish you the best of luck and hope you find out who killed your Kait.
God Bless you!

Asked on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 at 10:37:55 AM
Reply: Thank you.

And, the odd thing is, every time I read that book I discover "something I missed before" too. I wrote it in real time, recording events as they occurred, without having any idea what would turn out to be important. Since then, some minor details that did not seem significant when I wrote about them, have turned out to be very important.

A fan of your work

Question: Hi Lois,

I am deeply sadden after i finished reading your book. I admire your dedication into finding the real killer. I felt uneasy after i finished reading the book. It touched my heart that such a crime can happen in this world. I pray for your family. I did try to email Oprah and Nancy Grace. It's a long shot, but I hope they would give you a chance. Nancy Grace is a tough lady, that believes in justice. I don't know if you have watch her show, but I am also a fan of her show. I hope that she can help give you the exposure to keep this case in the public eye. I wish you and your family the best of luck!

Asked on Monday, June 11, 2007 at 11:41:56 PM
Reply: Yes, Nancy Grace is a long shot. But thank you for trying. Sometimes long shots hit the mark.

Books into films

Question: Dear Lois-

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

I was wondering if we'll see any more filmed versions of your books, or has the unpleasurable experience with "I Know...Summer" turned you off to Hollywood?

Take care, and thank you for the joy you've given us readers throughout the years.

Patrick Stibbs
www.onthespotradio.com

Asked on Monday, June 11, 2007 at 09:49:14 PM
Reply: No, I haven't given up on Hollywood. It's a grab-bag -- some movies are good, and some are bad. I thought KILLING MR. GRIFFIN was very well done.

Several of my books are currently under option -- DOWN A DARK HALL, STRANGER WITH MY FACE and HOTEL FOR DOGS. That doesn't necessarily mean that they'll be filmed, it must means that studios have purchased the right to film them.

Liz

Question: I first read the book Who Killed My Daughter as a fifth grader, and today reread the book. I am now 25, and a student in UNM's Communication Dept. As a native of Albuquerque, and a friend of murder victims, I am hopeful that this case will be solved. Good luck, and thank you for the bravery your family has shown in investigating Kaitlyn's death.

Asked on Monday, June 11, 2007 at 07:47:08 PM
Reply: Fifth grade is awfully young for you to have read that book. Thank you for rereading it as an adult.

Bullets

Question:
I read the part where you mentioned there were NO bullets in her head even though she was shot twice and that there were no exit wounds. I was incredulous. That can't be.

It just occurred to me if it was possible that somebody "rigged" the autopsy? Or the coroner was intimidated by someone else to report something that was not?

Too bad you couldn't have it autopsied outside of the jurisdiction.

Asked on Sunday, June 10, 2007 at 05:07:28 PM
Reply: APD did not show us the autopsy report. And, if we had seen it, we wouldn't have known how to interpret it. We just trusted the authorities to do their job.

Many years later, when we obtained this information from a private investigator, it was far too late to do anything except feel that we had stumbled into the Twilight Zone.

You're right -- IT DOESN'T SEEM POSSIBLE that there were no exit wounds and no bullets were found in her body. Unless some special kind of bullets were used that disappear when they enter the body.

But, if that was the case, why was there that huge bullet hole in the door frame of her car? (That image is linked to the "Crime Scene" section.)

This causes us to believe that two guns were used.

Which does not indicate a "random drive-by shooting."

JUST W0NDERiNG!!

Question: HEY iiVE WRiTTEN Y0U A C0UPLE TiMES BUT ii WAS JUST W0NDERiNG H0W Y0U && Y0UR FAMiLY HAVE BEEN D0iNG?? && iF YALL HAVE F0UND N E THiNG ELSE 0UT.. ii H0PE YALL ARE D0iNG WELL && ii WANNA LET YALL KNW YALL R iN MY PRAYERS..

0 && WHENS Y0UR NEW B00K C0MiNG 0UT?? JW..

0NCE AGAiN ii H0PE Y0U && Y0UR FAMiLY ARE D0iN GREAT...

MUCH0 L0VE~ME

Asked on Sunday, June 10, 2007 at 04:27:29 PM
Reply: Thank you for caring. There's nothing to tell you that isn't already posted here.

One more thing..

Question:
Why don't you post more photos of Kaitlyn of her childhood? I'd love to see them and am sure others would too!

Asked on Sunday, June 10, 2007 at 02:50:24 PM
Reply: Kait's dad and I come well before the Computor Oriented generation. (Remember, she died in 1989.) When we do things on this web site it takes us forever and sometimes it does horrible things to everything else we have on here. We could destroy the whole site if we started adding new visuals.

Posting images for us is an overwhelming challenge. And is it really necessary? Shouldn't Kait's story be enough?

Kaitlyn

Question:
Hello Lois,

I was a fan of your books but stopped reading after your last book about Kaitlyn. It seemed you altogether stopped writing suspense books for teens after she died. I understand it is not the same as before.

Anyway, I wanted to know when Kait first dated Dunc and introduced him to you, didn't you feel any "strange feelings" or something was off about him?? Did you ever like him at all while they were dating or did you ever discourage or warn Kait about him?

I wish you best of luck. However, I DO hope you are moving on with your life with your husband and other children plus grandchildren! :)

Asked on Sunday, June 10, 2007 at 02:48:40 PM
Reply: Thank you for liking my suspense novels. And, no, I'm no longer writing those, although they're still in print. My new book, SEASONS OF THE HEART, is the story of my life, not a fictional novel.

In answer to your second question: Kait enjoyed stepping "outside the box." She was interested in all kinds of people, especially those from other cultures. When she decided to date a Vietnamese immigrant, we had no problem with that. We thought it was an experimental time in her life and probably good for both of them. We felt sorry for this appealing young man, so far from home. He called me "Mom." Kait told me, "He misses his own mother so much that when he comes into our house and you're baking a cake, he hugs you and starts to cry." That melted my heart.

We felt secure in our belief that she wouldn't marry him, because they had nothing in common other than physical attraction. She was going to college and hoped then to go to medical school and become a doctor. Dung couldn't even hold a job. We thought Dung was a blip in her life that would be a learning experience and then she would move on.

We had no idea that Dung was involved in any sort of illegal activity. And, no, I had no "strange feelings," until after Kait got her own apartment and Dung moved in with her.

The Santa Fe tornado

Question: From our house, high up on Bishops Lodge Road, north of Santa Fe town, my wife and I watched the complete development, from when its "tongue" began to extend down from the rain cloud, of the La Bajadur Hill tornado. Having seen it hit dirt, with the resultant large "explosion" of a "dirt cloud" rising from the ground, we were both of the opinion that this was the first tornado that had ever touched down close to Santa Fe. I know Peter Hurd painted the scene of the beginning of a tornado that came down close to Albuquerque, and we both understood that this was the first tornado that had been created in northern New Mexico*; but, for sure, and to our knowledge, there never had been one sighted in the vicinity of Santa Fe. My question of you is:

Are we correct in thinking that Saturday's tornado was, in fact, the first one to have ever been seen in our part of northern New Mexico?

Bob Dales

*Governor Carruthers had this painting hung in his office

Asked on Sunday, June 10, 2007 at 10:24:21 AM
Reply: You've addressed this question to the wrong person. I don't know anything about the history of tornados.

A Mother

Question: Why did Paul Apadaca think the first officer would protect his identity? Do you think that he and the first police officer had something to do with this, or maybe their covering for someone that is involved?
Barbara

Asked on Friday, June 08, 2007 at 08:23:10 PM
Reply: There's no way to know why Paul Apodaca felt protected.

Ronald Merriman, the first officer at the scene, said he directed Officer Mary Ann Wallace, the second officer at the scene, to take information from Apodaca. Wallace says Merriman directed her NOT to take information from Apodaca, because he already had done so. Oblivously one of them is lying. But which one?

Another possibility is that somebody in the department later removed information about Apodaca from Kait's case file. Just as the report about the second day work-up on her car was removed.

SOMEBODY in a position of some power has been pulling strings for Apodaca. When he was convicted of raping his half-sister in order to go to prison to protect his brother Mark, Judge Richard Knowles sentenced him to 20 years and specified that he NOT be placed in the same institution as Mark. So, where was he placed? In the same institution as Mark, in the adjoining cell.

Somebody over-rode the judge's mandate.

Doesn't this remind you a bit of Paris Hilton?

sorry

Question: I really loved this book as a kid and I hoped that Kait's killer was found. I hope everything is going ok for you.

Asked on Thursday, June 07, 2007 at 09:59:50 PM
Reply: Thank you.

Yes, we're doing okay. Our lives have gone on, despite the "missing piece." That's what has to happen in this sort of situation. Either that, or you fall down and never get up.

A Mother

Question: Has Paul Apadaca ever been traced down? Do you think he was such a person or did Paul M make him up to cover something else up? Sorry about all the questions, I'm trying review this cass.
Barbara

Asked on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 at 09:45:02 PM
Reply: At first it seemed impossible to track down Paul Apodaca, since all the information Det. Merriman took from him at the scene was his name and an incorrect phone number. No DOB, SS# or address. And "Apodaca" is a very common name in New Mexico.

However, in 1994, he ended up as headline news because he raped his 14-yr-old half-sister in order to be sentenced to prison to protect his brother Mark, who was serving a sentence for murder.

Our PI went down to the jail to talk to him, on the chance that he really WAS the Paul Apodaca from Kait's scene. The first thing he said to our PI was, "How did you find me?" He apparently thought the first officers at the scene had protected his identity.

So our PI did interview him, and he admitted to being at the scene and provided information that conflicted with information provided by Det. Merriman and Officer Wallace. He has since served his sentence and been released.

And if he wants a $25,000 reward, he knows how to reach us.

A Mother

Question: I read a little about Kait's case from this web site. Whatever happened with Ronald Merrman? Was he ever questioned about where he really was and what he was doing out there the night of Kait's death? I find it odd that he say's he was there waiting for the ambulance when the ambulance stated that he wasn't. Was he given a lie detector test?
Barbara

Asked on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 at 09:41:11 PM
Reply: Violent Crimes Detective Ronald Merriman is no longer with APD.

He was off duty, but had been helping out by transporting witnesses from the scene of a different shooting that occurred earlier that evening. His report says he was on his way back to the downtown police station when he stumbled on Kait's scene.

He was never questioned by anyone other than Miguel Garcia's defense attorney and our private investigator. (The homicide detectives investigating Kait's case never interviewed the first officer at the scene?!!!) He told our PI he never could understand why he wasn't called to testify at the Grand Jury hearing or on the witness list for the trial of Garcia (which ended up not taking place).

He was never questioned about his absence from the scene when the ambulance arrived, because his report indicated that he WAS there. It wasn't until much later, when our PI interviewed the medics who transported Kait to the hospital, that we learned that he and Officer Mary Ann Wallace and the witness, Paul Apodaca, had all left the scene before the ambulance came.

We aren't in a position to force a police officer to take a lie detector test.

My sincerest thoughts

Question: My heart goes out to you and your family. I read this book a few years ago and just found this website. I came hoping to see if any new information had been discovered, and hoping the case had been solved. You were my absolute favorite author as a young girl and when I read about your daughter's death, I was so saddened for you. Never give up hope that the truth will out and Cait's killer will be found.

Asked on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 at 07:26:33 AM
Reply: Thank you for those kind words.

HG1

Question: ASAP!!!!!!!!!

Asked on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 at 06:22:57 AM
Reply: I've deleted your previous post with your personal phone number, because I don't think it's wise to post that on a message board. You never know what kind of kook is going to call you.

If you have information about Kait's case, please, send it by private e-mail to loisduncan@arquettes.com. Or you can call our private investigator at NIA/NM (National Investigations Agency of New Mexico) -- 505-243-2222.

A Mother

Question: I can only imagine what your family and you are going through. All these years of unanswered questions. I just started reading your book, Who Killed My Daughter? For some reason this story doesn't sound unfamiliar to me. I know this is a stupid question, but was it ever on Lifetime? How are your other children doing? Do you ever get frustrated with all the questions? I know that your hoping that the questions will help solve Kait's murder, but how do you deal with reliving every question over and over again? Your a very strong and courageous women/mother. You will find the person's involved in your daughters murder, I have faith in you.
You and your family will forever be in my thought's and prayers.
Barbara

Asked on Monday, June 04, 2007 at 11:24:26 PM
Reply: Thank you for your prayers.

You may well have seen the case on Lifetime. In 1991, Kait's story was filmed for "Unsolved Mysteries." That showis now in syndication and is occasionally rerun on the Lifetime Channel. I never know when it's going to pop up there

Poem

Question: In answer to the last message, I was referring to the poem on page 73 of Seasons of the Heart called My Sister. It starts I have a sister who writes on the walls.....Some of the poems are sad, some are touching but I think that one is very cute and funny. And until last week when somebody wrote about the maps.live.com I didn't know either that you can see all those estates on the web. It's amazing what you can find out on your web side!

Asked on Monday, June 04, 2007 at 07:00:28 PM
Reply: Oh -- that one! That's in the section that contains poems for my grandchildren.

Castle

Question: I also went to maps.live.com and looked at all the big homes on Tierra Monte, Sandia Heights and Glenwood Hills. I could not see any statuary in any of the grounds nor could I see any airstrips. Was there really a house with statuary in the courtyard?

By the way, I also did buy the Book Seasons of the Heart and enjoyed it very much. I think the poem about your sister was sooo funny, I laughed so hard. It is amazing how well you wrote even at that early age. I recommend the book to anybody. Best wishes to you and your family.

Asked on Monday, June 04, 2007 at 04:26:25 PM
Reply: The estate I visited was just as I described it in WHO KILLED MY DAUGHTER. Statuary and all. But that was back in 1990. Back then, I hadn't even been introduced to the term "World Wide Web." I didn't have a computer.

So, now, you can go on the Internet and see if people have statuary in their yards?!!!!!! I am a Dinasaur.

Thank you for liking SEASONS OF THE HEART. But, I didn't write a poem about my sister, because I never had one. Which ever poem you enjoyed so much must have been about one of my daughters.

back 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 next