Displaying 4161 - 4180 of 5778 posts for this case -- (Page 209 of 289)

to kaits mom and dad

Question: im am half way through reading your book who killed my daughter i just wanted to say im very sorry for your loss and my heart and prayers go out to you both dearly but my question is is there any way she could have left a clue or something about who did this horrible thing to her ?

Asked on Monday, May 11, 2009 at 09:23:05 PM
Reply: If so, we weren't able to find it. But, remember -- while we were at the hospital, waiting for Kait to die, Dung's friends were in his/Kait's apartment. (We know that from Kait's neighbors, and also from the phone calls they made to California that turned up on Kait's phone bill.) They had over 24 hours to remove any clues she might have left.

Compelled to Comment

Question: I just finished Who Killed My Daughter in a marathon reading session inspired by a student in my 7th grade reading class. Your bravery is unmatched, and I pray that you find closure. You really opened my eyes to the injustice in a world that I thought had pretty clear good guys and bad.The lack of action and clear miscarriage of justice on the part of those we entrust to protect and serve sickens me.Just wanted to say that you and your family are in my thoughts. Wish I had some sort of power or talent to help. [April from Pittsburgh]

Asked on Monday, May 11, 2009 at 06:07:56 PM
Reply: You're right -- it's a terrible jolt to suddenly discover that the "good guys" are really the "bad guys." It's as if the world has gone totally off kilter and there's no where to plant your feet and know that you're safe and steady.

As our second daughter, Kerry, says, "We didn't just lose Kait, we lost our innocence."

Confused

Question: Dear Lois,
I have read Who Killed My Daughter? several times, and every time I read it I keep thinking that I've missed something. How could that psychic have seen Mike Vamp as a suspect when you made him up? That just doesn't make any sense to me. I mean I know that Kait had a copy of Don't Look Behind You in her car but that just doesn't make any sense. I have read a lot of your books and loved them all. I just can't get her out of my head. And what about Dung, it seemed like he and Kait fought a lot. Would he have motive to kill her though? And I know that he has an alibi, but what if his friends are lying to protect him? I am a huge fan of your work. So please write back. I am 15 years old and a freshman in high school. Please write back.

Katharine Emma Harding
(Katie)

Asked on Monday, May 11, 2009 at 07:26:20 AM
Reply: The psychic, Noreen Renier, who went into a trance and described the face of "Mike Vamp," the hit man in my book DON'T LOOK BEHIND YOU, believes that Kait ("from the Other Side") was psychically sending her the vision of that face in order to convey the message, "This was NOT a random shooting. I was killed by a HIT MAN like the one in mother's book."

Dung's two alibi friends were as deeply involved in criminal activities as Dung was. I would not consider them reliable alibies. They would certainly lie to protect him, and to protect themselves. I personally believe the three of them were together that night and that they were at the scene and watched the shooting, whether or not they participated in it.

Hey Mrs. Arquette!

Question: Hey Mrs. Arquette! I hope you remember me..I emailed you a few months back (email:soccermania102001@yahoo.com). I just wanted to wish you a happy Mother\\\\\\\'s Day & a happy belated birthday!! I was just watching the video that was put up & I\\\\\\\'m not sure what tugs on my heartstrings more...reading about what happened or actually seeing & hearing you talk about it. Either way, I still think about you & your family often & I pray for you all that one day the case will be solved. I have recently tried getting others into Who Killed My Daughter? & they love it so far, just like I do. I just wanted to let you know, if I haven\\\\\\\'t told you before, that you\\\\\\\'re my favorite author & my writing inspiration.

With love,
Katie Schmidt

Asked on Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 06:14:40 PM
Reply: Thank you, Katie. I'm glad you took the time to watch the video, as a face and voice are more intimate than words on a page.

KATE

Question: HOW DID YOU FEEL ABOUT WROTING A BOOK ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR DAUGTHER?

Asked on Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 08:50:53 AM
Reply: I feel I had no choice but to write it. It was the only way I could keep the facts of her case from becoming buried.

Your Life

Question: Dear louis duncan,
My sis is doing a report on you. When i read her report tears came out of my eyes. I felt like I wanted to find who murdered your only happyness and kill them. But then my mom said"that makes you no brtter then that person". so then I started doing lots of reaserch. I have been doing reaserch on her crime for one year. I now this might be personal, but I want to ask you if I can help you with her murder.

Name:Mark botnaru
Grade:Seventh
Phone Number:
PS:please call me i have the answers yo your questions

Asked on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 01:15:06 PM
Reply: Thank you for your efforts in our behalf, Mark. I removed your phone number from your post. It's not a good idea to post that sort of information on the Internet, because all kinds of kooks might start phoning your house. But I'd be glad for you to post your findings on this message board.

your daughter

Question: I lived in NM when your daughter was murdered. Hers was a route I typically drove at night coming home from work or the university. I remember the fear that the killing engendered, but also the sense of disbelief. I drove that route constantly and I never saw any evidence of people lingering - especially people who wished to commit a carjacking. i drove that route b/c it was usually pretty empty and i could therefore drive quickly. I call BS on the cops who investigated her death. I still think about this case; it's imprinted in my mind. I hope her case is properly solved.
nadine

Asked on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 11:11:41 AM
Reply: The area of town where Kait was shot -- Lomas and John Street -- has almost no traffic at all on Sunday nights. Which is probably why that location was selected for the murder.

Kait Duncan

Question: Words cannot express the emotions that are running through me at this time. I feel such overwhelming sadness for you and your family. However, I feel rage more than anything else. Our country is supposed to be based on the rule of law. To have police, attorneys, etc. manipulate the system instead of finding out the truth is sickening. It's outrageous that you were treated so shabbily. What happened were not 'mistakes' or 'errors' but criminality on the part of the justice system. Is it any wonder so many people have so little faith in our courts and police? I pray you may find some small amount of comfort knowing that everyone involved in this will eventually be judged and punished when they leave this earth.

Asked on Monday, May 04, 2009 at 11:13:56 AM
Reply: You are absolutely right in your assessment of the criminal justice system.

Tracy again!!

Question: Did you ever find ROD thanks...for some reason I just cant rest until there are more answers!!!

Asked on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 at 05:52:33 PM
Reply: We didn't find Rod -- ROD found US. He contacted us after reading WHO KILLED MY DAUGHTER?. He was, indeed, Kait's secret second boyfriend, but we are convinced he had no part in her murder. He was heartbroken.

???

Question: I just finished you book. Who killed my daughter and I have to say Im in shock that this case has not been solved!! I do have to say did you ever look in your book dont look behind you...(the one that the sketch decribed the man in your book...)maybe she left a clue in it...for some reason I cant get it out of my head that maybe she had a copy and wrote something in it!! I do hope you find out who did this...my brother was found murdered and the slc police hae covered it up also...thanks for your time!!! Tracy

Asked on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 at 05:50:54 PM
Reply: I'm so sorry about your brother. Reading WHO KILLED MY DAUGHTER? must have been very hard for you emotionally.

As far as we know, Kait didn't leave any message. Believe me, we searched that apartment and everything in it.

The internet shows, gangs in Albuquerque, AR

Question: 1. First, I am very glad that you are getting the case in front of still more people. The more who know, the more likely it is that there will be a reckoning for those who murdered Kait.

2. I, too, saw the AMW show and all I could think of is: where were all those "gang" units at the time when Kait was murdered??? Or in Albuquerque, do they still pick and choose which "gang" is arrested and tried for criminal activity?

3. The situation you describe with Accelerated Reading Programs is silly. I have taught English, reading, etc. at high school and college levels for 30 years. The issue is not to get students to read "longer sentences" or to read books for POINTS. SHEESH. The issue is to get them reading. When I taught high school, I would let them start with any book above the picture book level. Most of them started with adolescent novels or Harlequin romances or series book like Babysitters Club (back in the day, huh?). But almost all of them found writers that they loved and who inspired them to read the whole oevre, so to speak. And then they usually moved to other books recommended by their peers or siblings or even, once in a while, me. Some students also recommeneded books for me. To "accelerate" reading, you have to build a reading community, not a set of kids trolling for points. I despair...

Asked on Monday, April 27, 2009 at 02:41:08 PM
Reply: There are no Asian gang units in Albuquerque, as there are in places like Orange County, Californa. There is an APD gang unit, but they insist that the only gangs are black and Hispanic.

As you know, I'm in total agreement about the idea of reading for points. Kids should be reading for pleasure.

WTF!!

Question: Well reading this website explains everything. The police didn't do a thing. They didn't interview the people they needed to interview. That VW Bug went missing and they didn't know about that..

Asked on Friday, April 24, 2009 at 09:04:20 PM
Reply: It explains why the case wasn't solved. What it doesn't explain is WHY certain members of the Albuquerque Police Department didn't WANT it to be solved.

nuthin much

Question: lois duncan i am so sorry she was very pretty and she seemed like a type of person that wont be mixed up in a crowd like that thats why my mom always tells me to pick the right friends that i hang around with because who knows what might happen

Asked on Thursday, April 23, 2009 at 06:08:46 PM
Reply: Your Mom is absolutely right.

THIS IS CRAZY

Question: IS THIS ALL REALLY TRUE I CANT BELIEVE IT SHE WAS A NICE GIRL FROM MY PIONT OF VEIW

Asked on Thursday, April 23, 2009 at 06:05:41 PM
Reply: Yes, it's all true. And, yes, she WAS a nice girl. But she was headstrong, as teenagers tend to be, and made some foolish decisions, which cost her her life.

i am very sorry

Question: lois duncan i am 11 years old and i did not read your book but it sounds great i wouldnt have known that your daughter died if it wasnt for my library teacher she should us a movie that she recorded i felt like crying it was so sad i think that you just need to stay strong and think about the good stuff that i going to happen also thankyou for inspiring me to not hang out with the wrong crowd

Asked on Thursday, April 23, 2009 at 05:53:39 PM
Reply: I can only guess that the DVD your teacher showed you was "A Visit with Lois Duncan." People with an interest in view excerpts from that DVD or in purchasing a copy can do either or both on line. They can access the link from my professional Web site at www.loisduncan.arquettes.com.

I am sorry

Question: i am 11 and read the story and my name happens to be Kaitlin and i hope that u someday find the shooter but kaitlyn was rite they will rot in He** i am hopefully going to be a CSI when i grow up adn i no u proably dont want to hear from a sixth grader but i will hopefully try to help u in watever way i can! I am very srry
-lots of love and cheeriness to bring u up Kaitlin

Asked on Thursday, April 16, 2009 at 04:11:46 PM
Reply: Dear Kaitlin (what a lovely name!) -- of course, I'm happy to hear from a 6th grader, especially one who sends such a kind message. However, I'm a bit concerned about WHO KILLED MY DAUGHTER? being read by elementary school students. This book contains subject matter you should not try to take in at your age.

Which leads me into a subject that is totally unrelated to Kait's case, but I feel strongly enough about it so I'm going to switch gears and use this as a podium. The AR (Accellerated Reading) programs that are used in many schools today to promote reading, horrify me. In these programs, books are designated as reading material for particular grades, and kids accumulate points by reading the more advanced books on the list. I've never understood why certain books I've written, with strong subject matter and 17-18-yr-old protagonists, are rated as 4th or 5th grade level. Those are young children! They should be reading the Narnia Chronicles, etc.

Well, now I know what's behind this. This past week, I was honored with the Katharine Drexel lifetime achievement award, presented by the Catholic Librarians branch of the American Library Association of a "body of work." While at the convention in Anaheim, I asked several librarians the criterion as to how the AR books are selected and rated. They informed me that the point system and grade level are determined by the length of the sentences in the book and the number of syllables in the words. NOT BY CONTENT!!! One librarian told me, "If you want your books to get more points on the reading lists and be read by older students, make your sentences longer."

This is probably why this lovely 11-yr-old Kaitlin read WHO KILLED MY DAUGHTER?. And why most of my books that are appropriate for middle school or high school students are designated on the AR lists as 5th grade level or below. Students who are the right age for the subject matter can't earn points by reading them, and some of the ones who read them should NOT be reading them.

I recently received an e-mail from a 16-yr-old boy, who said, "I told my 12-yr-old brother that he should read KILLING MR. GRIFFIN, which was my favorite book when I was his age. I knew he would love it. He told me he couldn't read it because it was rated below his reading level and he couldn't waste time reading for fun when it won't earn him points."

I think this is crazy.

"A Visit with Lois Duncan"

Question: I apologize for a message that doesn't have to do with Kait's case, but I didn't know how else to ask you this since your professional site about your books doesn't have a message board.

My son Jason is graduating from middle school and I want to give his wonderful English teacher a thank you present for all she has done to turn him from a nonreader into a reading addict. You're Jason's favorite author and the perfect present for that teacher would be the DVD "A Visit with Lois Duncan" so she can play it in her classroom to inspire other kids to become readers and let them know that authors of books are REAL PEOPLE. I can't find the DVD in any video stores. Is there a way to order it on line?

Asked on Sunday, April 12, 2009 at 02:18:36 PM
Reply: Thank you for appreciating Jason's teacher this much. Teachers who inspire kids to read books in a time that seemingly has been taken over by TV and the Internet deserve sainthood.

You can view a clip from the video at www.loisduncan.arquettes.com/DuncanDVD.htm and then decide if you think it's worth acquiring.

It's a 35 minute DVD, "A Visit with Lois Duncan," that takes students into my home to visit with me and my family. On it I discuss the ups and downs of my career, take viewers step by step through my writing process, and describe what happens behind the scenes when a writer's novels go to Hollywood. It even includes home movies of me as a child and excerpts from trailers of some of the movies based on my books, including KILLING MR. GRIFFIN and HOTEL FOR DOGS. Classes who view that DVD can contact me by e-mail, and I will respond, so it can be an interactive experience.

My daughter Robin, a videotographer, did the filming and editing. My daughter Kerry, a former TV newswoman, conducted the interview. My husband, Don, appears on it also, as well as pictures of our children and grandchildren, and our favorite dog.

I DO talk briefly about Kait's case, but at a level that I don't think will be upsetting to young people. Nothing like what's on this Web site.

Answered by: Lois Duncan

A project

Question: I am very sorry not to be able to get your internet program, I am sure it is interesting.

I was thinking about your situation recently and would like to share an excercise I was told about by my son in law who is now an officer for some years.

Right now, this minute, with no prep. Play deceased by misadventure. Now, look at your rooms and cars, files, notes, calendar, bits of what would be considered "evidence" to your demise; ie., motive, opportunity etc.

He explained to me that this excercise was to help them as criminologist students to understand that much that is gathered means nothing. That overwhelming ourselves with "tiny pieces of the puzzle" clutters the trurer picture. With all of the heartbreak you have endured, has someone who has not read your book, sifted thru the evidence that is available (the bullet/shell casing mystery aside - unreal) so see if a simpler more direct clue has been passed over? Obviously this was just an excercise and not to be conducted in each scene. Only considered.

Be well and I wish for you healing. As a surviver of a victim, I saw people make way to much of the events leading up to the event itself. But all situations are different.

Asked on Saturday, April 11, 2009 at 12:14:28 PM
Reply: Thank you for your interesting post and good observations

The answer to your question is, (with the exception of insurance fraud attorneys and claims investigators in California, who did read my book and recognized suspects they were investigating on their own), investigators have not been influenced by my book and/or our family's personal beliefs.

Kait was killed in 1989, and my book was not published until a full year after APD dropped off the case in 1991. So nothing in my book had any effect upon APD's investigation.

In 1991, a private investigator in Albuquerque was retained by a law firm to conduct an accident reconstruction of Kait's shooting in respect to a potential motor-vehicle-insurance-claim. (We were never approached about this and knew nothing about it, so contributed no information.) As a result of that reconstruction, the law firm came to the conclusion that the scene investigation was a mess and there was no evidence to support a drive-by shooting. So they lost interest in pursuing it.

But the PI was so intrigued she couldn't let it go. In 1994, when the PI saw me on national TV discussing Kait's case and realized that our family knew nothing about the problems with the crime scene and the fact that a man with a long record of violent attacks upon women was standing next to Kait's car when the first officer got there and was allowed to walk away without questioning, that PI contacted us and offered us, without charge, all the information she had acquired on her own. When I offered to send her my book, she said she didn't want it. She didn't want to be influenced by our family's beliefs.

It's been the same with almost all outside investigators who have stepped into this case to help us. Det. Jerry Berry, who conducts the radio blog "When Justice Fails," concentrates primarily on physical evidence. (By the way, that blog is on the Internet indefinitely. Anybody can go there and listen at any time.)

My personal reactions -- or possible over-reactions and misinterpretations -- may permenate my book. But those have not influenced the investigation.

Travels...

Question: I have been offered the chance from work to visit Albuquerque, NM. But I just wanted to see is it was ok to see the old house and the apartments complex, because I am using Kait's story to read a term paper for criminal Justice class on unsolved murders. Kaits' and Ramsey girl are the too case I am reading about. I hope its ok and I want to pay respect to your family.

Asked on Thursday, April 02, 2009 at 07:14:33 AM
Reply: Of course, you can drive by and look from the outside at our old house and the apartment complex where Kait used to live. But you can't ring the doorbell and invite yourself in to look at the inside. That house now belongs to other people, and there are new residents in the apartment. They would feel they were being harassed.

Answered by: Kait's mom

To You and Your Family

Question: Hi Louis... My name is Sara... I wrote to you on here once before... A few years ago after I had read your book about Kait. I am now 20 years old and graduated from High School. I just recently found out that I am pregnant (I'll be 11 Weeks as of 4-2-09) And since I have found out, I have been thinking a lot about your book and what happened to Kait, and it makes me realize that someday a tragedy like that could strike my family and I honestly don't know what I would do... I can only imagine how hard that must have been for you/how hard it still is. I just thought that I would stop in and once again give my deepest sympathy's to you and your family. Since I have last written, have any new leads formed on the case? I have been thinking a lot lately about rereading the book and may go to the public library to see if I can find it.. I hope to hear back from you soon! Take Care!

Asked on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 at 03:14:04 PM
Reply: Dear Sara, this is definitely not the time for you to reread that book or think about Kait's sad situation. This is a time for you to be happy and focus totally on the beautiful new life you soon will be bringing into this world.

Congratulations and God bless!

back 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 next