Displaying 3981 - 4000 of 5517 posts for this case -- (Page 200 of 276)

Withheld From Media

Question: I respect your position given the sloppy treatment of this case, and yes I would get suspicious as well. But your bias is apparent. Please note that the media reports only what they think is important and will make them money. There are two sides of the story, and believe me they are not withheld from the media as they are public records. The media gets their stories from the records and they choose not to report the outcome. I would challenge you to check into the public records and not just report what the media reports. That would be much more accurate then paint the WHOLE department as corrupt. I am passionate about justice and would love to see your daughters killer(s) be brought to justice, even if that ment people with "good" reputations were brought down. My prayers with you. And yes, I do disagree this was a random drive by. By the rounds, proximity and grouping I would tend to say execution.

Asked on Saturday, January 03, 2009 at 06:29:17 AM
Reply: I beg to differ. As a former teacher at the UNM journalism department, I know a reporterís first source of information about crimes is almost always a spokesperson from the investigating agency. That spokesperson says whatever the agency has decided the public should believe.

Since youíve mentioned your personal involvement in the investigation of the shooting of Peter Klunck by APD officer Matt Griffin, Iíll use that case as an example.

Albuquerque Journal, 1/28/89: ď(Police Chief Sam) Baca said Klunck was shot three times, twice in the chest. Baca said any of the shots could have been fatal Ö All three shots came from in front of Klunck.Ē However the autopsy report, which reporters did not have access to at that time, stated that Klunck was shot three times in the back. That information wasnít made public until later.

see if it is the family

Question: ok search for a Sheriff A. L. ("Happy") Apodaca. he may have been related to paul and mike apodaca.
if they are do you think that there is some type of corruption with apodaca's and law enforcement? and the mobs ?
i dont know happy's genealogy very well but enough to know that it is very possible for them to be related.

Asked on Friday, January 02, 2009 at 10:36:05 PM
Reply: "Apodaca" is a very common name in New Mexico. We have found no connection between Paul Apodaca and the Sheriff.

Lehocky 4-25-00

Question: You left out many facts of this case. The girl AND her boyfriend were hiding in the bath tub. I made the decision to enter the apartment as several people had just exited. One of them I thought was the suspect wanted in vehicular homicide. They had also just dumped waste product in a dumpster from a step in manufacturing meth. Due to these conditions and that it was an apartment building we were left with no alternative but to act in case their disposal of chemicals created a fire. Once in-side the dog found them hiding in the tub. Her boyfriend then shoved her at the dog. He then dumped several ounces of red phosphorus in the toilet causing a severe chemical reaction that nearly killed the dog. Yes, the dog bit her only because she was shoved at the dog and the dog had nowhere to go. (Very tight quarters.) She attempted to sue the department but lost the case due to ALL the details. Assuming you know them. The chemical reaction could have severely hurt a human. While I know things are not right, I do wonder how many more of these cases you intentionally did not mention ALL the facts and their outcomes. (Turns out the boyfriend was the one wanted on vehicular homicide and yes they were manufacturing. Both were convicted and sentenced.) Roch

Asked on Friday, January 02, 2009 at 07:10:45 PM
Reply: The information about Kait's case comes from police reports, transcripts of depositions, personal interviews by outside investigators, crime scene photos, etc.

Information about cases other than Kait's, such as the one you refer to above, comes from statements APD provided to reporters. There undoubtedly is additional information that APD withheld from the media, but we have no access to that.

Sorry Just Read What I asked

Question: Sorry, I just went through the crime scene stuff as conveyed by you. I will admit a VERY bad crime scene investigation. I can agree that the grouping of the shots are very tight, too tight, for a drive by or random. Also, it is curious about the angle, but to say it was a cop for sure I'm not sure. We did train for three round bursts, but not multiple to the head. Usually two to the chest and one to the head. Griffen did just that when he killed that guy. In fact I remember stating to other officers that the placements of the rounds were just like we trained. I could almost tell you with some certainty that the farthest left round was the first, the second to the right of that and the last in the door frame. I will agree that this probably did not occur from vehicle to vehicle but from close range, like you state. Wow. When was the last time you contacted cold case unit. I think Rich Lewis is in there now. Have you talked to him?

Asked on Friday, January 02, 2009 at 06:41:32 PM
Reply: Once Don Roberts was transferred out of the Cold Case Unit, they lost all interest in Kait's case.

Number of Shots

Question: I read the night of shooting and you advised that Kait was shot twice in the head? Was she in the driver's seat when found? Do they know what lane she was in prior to or at the time of the shooting? I know this question must be upsetting. But how close were the wounds in her head. Were they within inches? What side was the entrance wounds and was there any exit wounds? What was the final police account? A random shooting? Also, if she was shot at very close range there would have been powder burns or powder residue. Was there any? Sorry for all the questions. And yes this is Roch. What got my attention is you said shot twice in the head. Very difficult to do from a moving vehicle, one to the other and therefore you peaked my interest. As you can tell I don't know the facts of this case, but you have got me interested. I did recognize the suspects name. If I'm not wrong, wasn't he arrested or wanted on a murder not related, or apparently, not related to your daughter? Sorry for all the questions. And since you know who this is you don't have to answer. Not trying to upset you. Just really curious now.

Asked on Friday, January 02, 2009 at 06:21:38 PM
Reply: Kait was found sprawled across both front seats with her head against the passenger's door. Police say she was shot in the eastbound lane at Lomas and John St. and from there her car traveled over 700 feet, crossed the median and the westbound lane, and came to rest against a pole. There was damage to the left end of the rear bumper of her car. It was found with the automatic transmission in park. Police state they determined the location of the shooting by a large pile of glass in the street. However, that glass was not photographed or gathered up as evidence, so there is no proof that it existed. The wounds in her head were on the left side and within inches. There were no exit wounds and no bullets were found in her body. Since the shots were fired through the glass of the driver's side window, there was no powder residue and it was impossible to determine how close the shooter was. If by "the suspect," you're referring to Paul Apodaca, he was never considered a suspect and was allowed to leave the scene without being questioned. Yes, he was arrested about a year later for shooting a hooker from his VW bug. Don't know the results of that arrest. Do know that he was later arrested for raping his 14-yr-old half sister and sentenced to prison. He has since been released.

Simply Googled the name Roch Hart

Question: Actually just googled the name and came up with this. Did not even know this blog exsisted. But have seen others just like it. Keep fishing.

Asked on Friday, January 02, 2009 at 04:36:53 PM

It really amazes me....

Question: ...that after All this time, there are still people (possibly officers), that are checking and/or monitoring this site! For an unsolved murder..ERRRR.. "Random Shooting", the stature of citizens that frequent this board would leave you to believe that they actually Like you! (wink, wink)

Asked on Friday, January 02, 2009 at 09:07:03 AM
Reply: This does seem to be a popular Web site with some interesting visitors.

Roch Hart

Question: I was on the deparment. The murder occured in the Valley Area Command. At the time I was assigned the SE area Command. I was not in the homicide unit and knew none of the facts. Many facts in investigations are not shared with all the department. And in a 700 man department, (approximate number of officers at the time), to assume that all cops knew everything about this case is ludicris. I have read these blogs with facination and watched how fact is made out of fictitious false statements. I don't believe everything I hear and check out everything I do. If someone tells me something I ask them to prove it or supply a way they can prove it. I still don't know all the facts of this case. And if I knew something I would help. I believe in justice, even against my own. I was directly involved in arresting officers from my own department and I don't believe in the "blue line". Please, no one, just take something that is suggested and take it as fact. Check it out yourself or ask that person to prove it.

Asked on Thursday, January 01, 2009 at 09:17:22 PM

APD Roch Hart

Question: Quoting the statement below, "You stated that Roch Hart was forced to leave the dept. This is untrue as I know for a fact he retired after serving 20 years."

The cover-up of Kait's case started in 1989. That would mean that Roch Hart was at APD during the investigation of Kait's case. My questions: What date was he hired at APD? What date did he leave APD? What department did he work for at APD? Was he involved in the investigation of Kait's case?

Asked on Thursday, January 01, 2009 at 03:25:00 PM
Reply: He'll have to be the one to respond to those questions. We've been given no reason to believe he was involved in the investigation of Kait's case.

Roch Hart

Question: What you heard was wrong. As you know "snitches" can be very valuable. They are termed snitches by those who are usually on the wrong side of the law. Snitches are often well meaning citizens who hope that only justice be served. I believe that "snitches" is exactly what is needed here for you, but, as you know all information must be backed up prior to being used. I am Roch Hart and wish you peace. I never had the opportunity to work on your daughter's case and wish I had. When ever I worked with a "snitch" my primary role was to make sure that this person was protected. Never did I use information that could get that person hurt. And never did I use a person just to use a person. I cared for them and hoped that they got help, which in many circumstances personally got them help. Many people wanted to work for me, but it was not always in their best interests. I personally know nothing of your case, but if I had I would have put every part of me into it. That is why I retired. My family life was difficult answering calls at 3AM, surveillances three nights out of the week and things only getting more violent. I would welcome this APD snitch you refer to come clean and tell you the truth. God Bless. Roch

Asked on Thursday, January 01, 2009 at 03:22:56 PM

after reading Who Killed my Daughter

Question: I heard you speak at the recent Secondary Reading Conference in Chicago. Since I'm busy as a teacher, I couldn't wait to have the time over Christmas break to read Who Killed my Daughter.
I am a mother too, and can sympathize with your problem.
You have inspired me, both as a teacher and a mother. I will pray often for you and your family, so that you get the answers and peace you deserve.
Take care and have a healthy and happy New Year.

A fellow teacher and mother.

Asked on Thursday, January 01, 2009 at 10:45:42 AM
Reply: Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to read Who Killed My Daughter?. I'm glad that conference in Chicago isn't occurring NOW! I imagine you're all freezing to death.

Roch Hart

Question: You stated that Roch Hart was forced to leave the dept. This is untrue as I know for a fact he retired after serving 20 years. Who did you hear this from or did you just make it up? Makes me wonder about your credibility.

Asked on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 at 06:06:57 PM
Reply: You are misquoting me. What I said was, "Quite a few years ago an APD officer named Roch Hart initiated that policy (advertising in the paper for snitches). We've been told he later got in trouble and was forced to leave the department, but don't know that for certain."

Two unrelated individuals told us that on two separate occasions. One was a member of APD. I'll repeat, "We don't know that for certain." Both could have been lying.

New Year

Question: May the new year bring you and your family the closure and peace that you deserve.

P.s. I have seen the trailer for your movie Hotel for Dogs. I can't wait to see it with my girls.

Asked on Saturday, December 27, 2008 at 08:51:43 PM
Reply: Thank you. It's nice occasionally to talk about happy things on this message board. Kait's death in some way has damaged every member of our family, but life goes on, and we have too.

The loss of our youngest child is so much a part of me that it leaps up to strike at odd time (and not just in dreams). Our son, Donnie, and his girlfriend were with us for the holidays while his girlfriend's little daughters were visiting their grandparents. The phone rang on Christmas, and I picked up and said, "Hello." I heard a voice identical to Kait's say "Mommy?" I almost went into shock before I realized that the call was for Donnie's girlfriend, not me.

But our lives since Kait's death have not been void of joy. We've celebrated the marriages of three of our surviving children; we've acquired four more wonderful grandchildren and a lovely step-grandchild; we've left Albuquerque and established a new life in a less dangerous place -- and, out of the blue, has come the upcoming movie, HOTEL FOR DOGS.

Because this reply is going to be about something upbeat for a change, I'm going to tell you (and anyone who's interested) how this happened. In 1971, I wrote a book for younger children called HOTEL FOR DOGS. It came and went without much fanfare, as books do, and I forgot about it. Then, a couple of year ago, my film agent was in Hollywood, pedeling film rights to my suspense novels, and a producer at Dreamworks asked, "Is that the same Lois Duncan who wrote HOTEL FOR DOGS, my favorite book when I was a little boy?" My agent had to call me to find out, because the book was out of print. But, yes, it was that same book, and it will be a major motion picture, released to theaters Jan. 16, 2009. Scholastic now has republished it, (please, tell your kids to read the book bfore they see the movie, because Hollywood has made a lot of changes, and it's always better for kids to read the book first), and I've since written two sequels, NEWS FOR DOGS (to be published April 2009) and MOVIE FOR DOGS (2010).

Life is strange. Just at the point when I felt I would never write again, I wrote two new books.

hi

Question: this is my last part of the post so read the one before this second, the one before that first and this one last, and I just want to say I'm sorry for saying all of this

I also want to say, that I thought I was going through a hard time, but hey, I'm only in 8th grade, and I'm just writing to an author on the internet, but this is amazing to my little 8th grade mind. wow... you're still trying, your doing everything Aaah! this story, I wouldn't even been here, if my dad didn't drop me off early that one day at school, that I chose to go in the library, to sit down at that spot, to turn around and start changing my 8th grade life..I doesn't even make sense

I would like to say I'm proud of you, but I don't really know what you have been through, and it doesn't seem right for me to say that to you, it kind of seems rude, but I just admire you so much.

Good Luck and God Bless, and have the Merriest Christmas you could possibly have
[Sydney]

I just want to add one more thing, I can't lie to you, so my real name is Jessica and I have sent many posts, I just don't like my name, and the girl below my first post name was Jessica so

From:
[Jessica]

Asked on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 at 07:39:06 PM
Reply: I think Jessica is a lovely name. And "Jesse" is a cute nickname if you don't like the long version.

hi

Question: sorry I can't exceed more that 1700 characters at a time, so I had to put this big post in smaller pieces

and sorry for getting all basurk* on you, I mean your her mother and you probably thought of all possible ideas, outcomes on a number of nights... so I admire you, and I really don't know what else you can do, but for some reason[I live in California]~LA, just a normal, really short of her age, blonde-haired girl, was bored, lonely at the library one day and I needed to past time and I turned around fascinated by the many titles of murder mysteries and I picked yours out. You are probably my hero right now, and probably of many.

I also love how I'm sitting on my twin-sized bed righting this post next to my sister's full bed, the door shut, and my parents think I'm just searching random stuff, talking to friends, but I'm writing to a mother who had lost one of her children, and this story is really ALL that I'm thinking about constantly, and they don't even know, but I can't believe I'm writing to you, YOU oh my gosh. Before I read this book, my mother cried every time we saw a movie with a death of a child, and every time she would tell me, she doesn't know why god takes children, but he has a reason for it.

Asked on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 at 07:37:43 PM
Reply: Please don't become obsessed by Kait's case. I'm glad you read the book, and if you learned things from it that will help you avoid making the mistakes that Kait made, then that's good. But I think you need to let it go now and concentrate on your own life.

hi

Question: Doesn't the police know that if Dung really didn't have ANYTHING to do with the murder, knew nothing, that if when you confronted him, about if he knew anything, he never talked, contacted, you again?

Wouldn't any normal "boyfriend/girlfriend" of the victim[especially for that long of time], say its ok that you suspected to have anything to do with the murder, because any police[mother, father] doesn't really know about the relationship, and also heard repeatively about these "big fights"?

A normal boy/girl friend would say "its ok, you have to suspect every possible human being that knew her!" I mean... Dung should have liked that you were interrogating him, in a way, because he loved her, and wanted the police to suspect anybody. And if he really didn't know a thing, he would have talked and kept in touch with his murdered love!~~not left without a trace

I know you probably know this especially when you had that conversation with him, when you said to him "Do you love her enough to tell" and he said he's still deciding.

And the police don't have enough evidence to even interrogate him, but I think you should try your best to send him a Christmas card, or something and try to get back in his life, because maybe, just maybe he can be a key for all this~ because obviously he will probably never have the guts to contact you again.

This is so confusing [and I'm only in 8th grade] so I will ask my dad to read the book, and he's pretty smart since he's a lawyer, so I'll ask him his ideas on everything, and I will get back to you on that.

Asked on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 at 07:35:02 PM
Reply: Several years ago, when we tried to contact him, his girlfriend called the police to accuse us of harassment. At that point we knew where he was living. Today we don't.

QUESTION

Question: This is Jessica again. I would really like to become part of Kait's Army....How do I do that? Im not very good on the internet or computers, so if your web site already tells me Im sorry that I missed it!! Thank you & God bless.....Merry Christmas!!

Asked on Monday, December 22, 2008 at 01:01:24 PM
Reply: "Kait's Army" isn't an official organization. It's a name that's been coined by people all over the country who want Kait's case to be properly investigated. Some of the "members" are crime scene investigators, private detectives, forensic experts, etc., who have donated heir services pro bono. Others are members of the media who refuse to let Kait's case be forgotten. Still others are people like yourself who contribute prayers and emotional support.

If you choose to be a member of "Kait's Army," then you ARE one.

Hello

Question: What is it like knowing that your daughter was shot to death and still can't find the kiler still this day? and i am in the middle of reading the book and when this other person told me that it was a true story i went up on to the computer to look her up and right there in front of me was the imformation about your daughter..... i seen that you had a comment bar so i felt like ........ i dont know how to explain this feeling but it makes me take everything i have for granted!!! So i hope every thing is ok and wish you the best and Merry Christmas
Love,
Brandi Snow

Asked on Saturday, December 20, 2008 at 07:13:45 PM
Reply: What is it like? I -- a writer by profession -- cannot find the words to describe it. So I'm not going to try.

Wow...

Question: Mrs. Arquette/Duncan:

My name is Katie & I'm nearly 18 years old. In middle school, my friend recommended your books & I started reading DON'T LOOK BEHIND YOU & have read it a few times since then. I've also read SUMMER OF FEAR. This year, I have began reading WHO KILLED MY DAUGHTER? in Language Arts & I'm only on the 6th-7th chapter because we can't take the books out of school, but for Christmas, I'm definitely hoping to buy it & your other books I've read. First I'd like to say that you're an inspirational writer. I'm not a fan of reading much, but your books have me hooked! I'm really sorry about your daughter Kait. I'm still in shock that even after almost 20 years, the identity of the killers is unknown. I've recently just read about Betty Muench talking about the "R & J" & you having the dream about the white vehicle saying "R & J Car Rental" & as suspense will have it, I'm eager to find out where this is going. There's a case going on around here (Georgia) about a college student who went missing from a club over a year ago & they've talked to a few psychics & both have had different stories. I wonder if they talked to Betty, if they'd have the same luck in getting information as you have. I pray that one day & one day soon, you'll all find out what happened to Kait exactly & who was responsible. I'm not sure if they had lie-detectors back in those days, but have the police done a lie-detector test on Dung or Sharon or anybody since then? Anyways...I'll join "Kait's Army" to stay updated & I hope you & your family have a nice holiday & remember Kait is always looking down on all of you.

Asked on Thursday, December 18, 2008 at 03:07:58 PM
Reply: Thank you for caring, Katie. We happened to be extremely fortunate in the psychics we consulted in Kait's case. Although they were in different areas of the country and had no contact with each other, they all gave us basically the same information, which lends credence to it. However, I'll be the first to say there are many fraudulent psychics, as well as people with a small amount of psychic ability, who play it up to be more than it is. And even the best psychics are seldom totally on target. They get impressions rather than solid facts, and those impressions, while possibly accurate, may be misinterpreted by investigators or even by the psychics themselves.

No, the police did not give Dung or Sharon a lie detector test. And they didn't give lie detector tests to Juve Escobedo, Miguel Garcia and Marty Martinez, the men they arrested. They administered only one polygraph test, and they did it on a man that an informant suggested might have been in the back seat of the car along with Marty Martinez. That man passed the test.

We have often wondered why -- if the police were going to administer polygraph tests -- they didn't perform it on known suspects and witnesses rather than on a man who had no connection with the case.

I pray for kait

Question: Hi im jessica and im 24. I just read your book about your daughter. I am now 1 year clean & sober and after reading what happened to kait i thank God what happened to her never happened to me. I see now how easlily the ssame thing could have happened to me, & how lucky i am to still be here. I know for a fact that kait is in a better place now with nothing but good and loving people around her. I lost my grand mother in 1996, & kait seems right up her alley, so i rest assure that they are up there together. I will keep praying for you and your family and kait as well. Thank you for your book. -Jessica

Asked on Thursday, December 18, 2008 at 11:47:37 AM
Reply: Thank you for posting that, Jessica. And congratulations on getting your life in order before something terrible happened.

back 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 next