Displaying 3921 - 3940 of 5517 posts for this case -- (Page 197 of 276)

ANN RULE IS GOING TO JOIN US ON THE SHOW!

Question: On Monday evening, March 30, (7 p.m. Pacific Daylight Time) the "When Justice Fails" radio blog show will be about the "Real Crimes Web site."
The show starts off with the moderator, Jerry Berry, (a former police detective, who quit the department rather than participate in a cover-up), interviewing a few "special guests," This coming Monday, those will be my husband and me and -- unless there's a technical problem -- THE NATION'S BEST KNOWN TRUE CRIME WRITER, ANN RULE!!!

This blog is an Internet radio show. Listeners all over the world can go to http://www.blogtalkradio.com/Jerry-C-Berry and listen to it.
The cool thing about it is that the shows are recorded and stay on the Internet. People don't have to hear them in real time; they can go to the Web site at their convenience and listen to any show they want. If you go there now, you can listen to past shows about the Ronda Reynolds case and our daughter Kait's case.

If you want to call in on Monday night, all you'll need to do is tune in to listen to the show and, when Jerry opens the phone lines, turn down your speakers and dial 1-646-727-3643.

The show is recorded in Washington state at 7 p.m. PST, and the rest of us have to coincide with the time differences. So, depending upon what time zone you're in, you'll need to figure out what coincides with 7 p.m. on the West Coast.

Lois Arquette

Asked on Friday, March 27, 2009 at 07:30:07 AM

Radio Show

Question: I just want to comment that Lois & Don sound so sweet on air. It just breaks my heart that Kait's murder has not been resolved after all these years. It also angers me and I found myself screaming at the speakers..."It's sooooo obviously a cover-up!" I can't believe current members and/or past memebers of the APD are not just guilty-ridden and shamed. How could these people even sleep at night with this on their conscious? It sickens me.

I have a question for Lois or Don. Is there any way to get a copy of the "Unsolved Mysteries" episode on Kait's murder? Or is it availabe online?

P.S. I'm so glad you have Pat on your side. She's sounds so geniune and knowledgeable.

Thanks for fighting in "Kait's Army",

Melissa
Toledo, OH

Asked on Friday, March 27, 2009 at 12:09:14 AM
Reply: Thank you for listening to "When Justice Fails." I hope everyone will. Yes, we are indeed fortunate to have a private investigator like Pat Caristo, NIA/NM (National Investigations Agency of New Mexico). She's more than "genuine and knowledgable" -- she's Mother Teresa. She has turned her agency non-profit so as to be able to provide pro bono services to victims of violent crime.

I have no idea how to get a copy of the "Unsolved Mysteries" segment on Kait's case. It's syncidated, but I don't believe it's available as a DVD.

Officers Leaving the Scene ?

Question: Since when do officers, whether off-duty or not, leave the scene of any accident or crime ? That is truly unbelievable ! I can't believe this was not investigated and people fired over this. I am almost finished reading your book and had no idea there was another coming out about your daughter and the case. I look forward to reading that as well and hope your family knows that a lot of people do believe you (about what happened and being able to communicate with Kait after her death).

Sincerely,
Shelley Laugerman
Texas Fan of so many of your books (absolutely loved Down a Dark Hall as a young girl and introduced it to my own daughter, Sydney)

Asked on Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 11:54:52 AM

Civil RICO leading to criminal RICO

Question: Everyone (individual officers/collective departments) identified, involved and incompetant/derelict in their sworn duty can be sued in civil ourt, for the same activity, or lack of same.

In civil court the standards of culpability are less stringent; in criminal court jurys/judges are bound by all, or nothing reasonable doubt.

In civil court, the judgement is based upon a preponderence (majority rule, 51 % rulings) of the evidence.

Former cop/intelligence analyst.

Seek a civil rights lawyer.

Liam1306

Asked on Monday, March 23, 2009 at 10:32:47 PM
Reply: Thank you for that suggestion. You sound like a knowlegable person, and I wish you'd called in to the show last night. Your input would have added a lot. We will look into the feasibility of what you're suggesting in view of a statute of limitations.

justice

Question: Do you know that the trial startet for the 3 teens killed in the East Mountains? I hope the families get justice. We keep reading about 2 high profile lawyers from Denver defending the alledged killer. I would like to know who is paying for the lawyers? That is really strange, that he has those expensive lawyers. I feel for the families and hope they get justice.d8yjpy

Asked on Monday, March 23, 2009 at 04:05:37 PM
Reply: I know and like Kevin's mother and am heartsick for her and the parents of the other two victims. Like you, I hope justice prevails and they've arrested the right person and haven't just set someone up in order to close the case.

FROM KAIT'S MOTHER

Question: For All the members of Kait's Army,

The 4th segment on the coverage of the Kaitlyn Arquette murder investigation will be presented tonight, Monday, March 23, on the Internet-radio-blo, WHEN JUSTICE FAILS.

This should be very interesting because -- along with Don and me and our private investigator, Pat Caristo -- a special guest will be CALIFORNIA ATTORNEY, MICHAEL BUSH, who specialized in car wreck insurance fraud cases and flew to Albuquerque at his own expense to interview witnesses and suspects that the Albuquerque Police Department did not interrogate.

Who knows who may call in as a result of Michael's appearance tonight?!!! The witnesses and suspects he interviewed? The people in law enforcement who covered up for them? Or innocent people with information that supplements Michael's information?

The show is recorded live at 7 p.m. PST in Washington state, (meaning that for those on the East Coast, it will be 10:00 p.m., and for those of you in New Mexico it will be 8:00 p.m.) The blog is at www.blogtalkradio.com/Jerry-C-Berry. If you want to join in the discussion, you will need to listen tonight and call in by dialing 646-727-3643.

But, if you miss tonight's real time program, that does not mean that you cannot hear what transpired and cannot contact us by private e-mail at loisduncan123@arquettes.com with comments, questions or information.

The blog will stay up indefinitely. You can always listen and advise other people to listen

Please spread the word to others who have an interest in Kait’s case.

Lois Duncan Arquette

Asked on Monday, March 23, 2009 at 03:01:48 PM

Hello

Question: Hello Mrs. Duncan,

I red your book \"Who killed my daughter\" several times - it touched me deep in my heart! This site is very interesting an I hope, you will get the information you need.

Greetings from germany, Tina Gundlach

Asked on Sunday, March 22, 2009 at 01:04:56 AM
Reply: Thank you for this caring message from Germany.

RE: Officer Mary Ann Wallace

Question: I was intrigued by that too. I could see Merriman driving by off duty - maybe he was on his way home after his shift, or it was his day off and he was going from Point A to Point B.

But Wallace? It seems like she was parked just down the block or something, she arrived so quickly. And where did she go between the time that she caught the call and the ambulance arrived?

Here's another point that caught my attention when I listened to the broadcast - the police "woke Dung up" at the apartment at 3 am. But when I read the book, I remember a part where he told a newspaper reporter that he "went down there, but she was already gone." (Lois & Don, correct me if I'm wrong, please.)

I don't think the police would have told him where Kait was shot. They would have said that something happened and she was at the hospital.

Asked on Saturday, March 21, 2009 at 08:29:51 PM
Reply: According to Det. Steve Gallegos's report, at 3 a.m. APD went to Kait/Dung's apartment. They questioned Dung for about an hour, during which time he told them that he was out with his friends until 10 p.m., when Khanh Pham dropped him back at the apartment. (Sharon Smith told police Kait had her phoning the apartment until 10:40 p.m., and nobody answered. If Dung was there, why didn't he pick up the phone?) When the police left, Dung told them he was going directly to the hospital to be with Kait.

However, he and two carloads of his Vietnamese friends, (according to a hospital security guard, who saw them later in the parking not, there were eight of them), drove straight to the crime scene, bypassing the hospital en route.

You're right -- the police would not have told him where the crime scene was. They didn't tell US, so why tell Dung? Especially since Kait had long since been transported to the hospital. How could Dung have rounded up all those friends so quickly, all dressed and ready to go at 4 a.m.? And why would he have wanted to take them with him anyway, when his attention should have been focused on his dying girlfriend?

Something is wrong with this picture.

Answered by: Kait's mom

Officer Mary Ann Wallace

Question: After listening to the When Justice Fails radio blogs, there's been a lot of reference to the off duty cop Ron Merriman but almost nothing about Mary Ann Wallace, the first officer dispatched to the scene who got there so fast that it was like she was a block away. I went back through the posts on this board and found one that said she was the girlfriend and roommate of Alex Marentes, the president of the police union, and he was a field officer at Kate's scene.

I'd like to know more about Wallace. She wasn't there when the ambulance arrived either, but no ones commented about that. She seems to have slipped thru the cracks leaving Merriman to take all the shit. Is that because she was Marantes's girlfriend or some other reason?

Asked on Saturday, March 21, 2009 at 02:29:02 PM
Reply: I don't know anything about Officer Wallace's personal life.

But I do find the conflicting statements of the alleged first three people at the scene -- Det. Merriman, Officer Wallace, and Paul Apodaca to be very confusing. (I say "alleged," because the medics who transported Kait to the hospital consider THEMSELVES to be the first people at the scene, since no one was there when they arrived.)

F.Y.I

Question: Former political powerhouse Manny Aragon was sentenced Tuesday to more than five years in prison for his part in the Metro Courthouse construction scandal...Just thought you would like to know.

Highland High class of 91

Asked on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 at 10:50:55 PM
Reply: He was also fined $750,000 -- the bulk of which he already has forfeited to the government -- and ordered to pay at least $649,000 in restitution. He will also undergo three years supervised probation upon his release.

Rod called in!

Question: I was so excited when I listened to the When Justice Fails radio blog last night and Rod called in! In your book Rod was Kait's mysterious secret boyfriend but you never could find him and I wasn't ever sure he really existed. and then last night he phoned into the program. It made the whole thing so real, having one of the characters in the book come forth as a real person.

I hope others fromthe book will call in too.

Asked on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 at 11:01:20 AM
Reply: It was kind of Rod to call in, and I know it wasn't easy for him. For those of you who missed the show in real time, you can hear it on www.blogtalkradio.com/Jerry-C-Berry. The portion where Rod called in is last night's show, Monday March 16.

One of the most important things Rod said, other that to confirm the fact that he and Kait were seeing each other, was that, shortly before the murder, she asked him, "What would you do if I died?" That is not the kind of question a teenage girl would ask a new boyfriend unless she had reason to be afraid that that might happen.

An attorney also called in with interesting comments. And our private investigator was a fountain of information. If you're going to listen to only one of the blogs, I'd choose that one.

When Justice Fails

Question: I am listening to last night's broadcast as I write this note. From all that has been said about Sharon Smith. It seems very likely that Sharon was all part of the set-up. Whether she did it maliciously or was forced to be involved by the persons who shot or the person who did the hire for hit, she definitely was involved. If she has not come forward to this point, it's either because she's dead by now or she fears for her own life. And by now, also, the people who had her shot and/or did the actual shooting, probably know of this web site, and so Sharon would definitely be terrified to contact you with whatever information she has. It also could be that the persons who did it could already be in jail/prison and Sharon feels there is no reason to come forward for that reason. She should contact the Arquette's privately though just to let them know what she knows.

Asked on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 at 03:42:52 PM
Reply: Sharon is not dead. We know where she is. I believe she is simply scared, and, of course, she should not endanger herself by posting on a public message board.

However, every morning when I go to the computer or go out to collect the mail, I pray that I will find a personal message from her telling us what we need to know to give us closure. What she and most other people with incriminating information don't understand is that the most dangerous thing they can do is SIT ON THAT INFORMATION. That's what Kait did. And look where it got her! Once an informant has revealed what he or she knows, that person is no longer a threat, because the damage has been done and the info is already out there. There's nothing to be gained by killing the informant, other than to add substance to what the informant has revealed.

Now, having said that, I once again give my word that I will keep the identity of any informant who contacts me confidential unless the informant give me permission to reveal it to a specific individual.

Everybody should go listen to that blog!

Question: I listened to that radio blog last night. You and your husband and your private investigator were terrific and a lot of good questions were raised by the detective who interviewed you.

Will that blog still be there today so people who didn't hear it last night can listen to it?

Asked on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 at 04:35:19 AM
Reply: It's my understanding that the blog "When Justice Fails" will stay on the Internet forever. Just go to www.blogtalkradio.com/Jerry-C-Berry any time you feel like it, click on to one of the segments about Kait's case, and turn on your speakers. The segment on May 2 was kind of botchy because we were just learning how to do it, but a member of the Public Defender's Office called in, which made it interesting. Last night, March 9, we got into more details, and our PI called in to add her insights. Next week, March 16, we're going to be talking about motives.

Yes, please do go to the blog and listen to the segments that are already on there. And keep up with the ones yet to come.

steph

Question: hey mrs. duncan i jus finish reading your book who killed my daughter and it made me realize dat losing a child its very hard dats something i would never wish 2 happen 2 my biggest enemy did the police release some of the stuff they kept or they still have it in there posetion? well i wish u da best and 2 ur family GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!

LOVE, STEPHANIE

Asked on Friday, March 06, 2009 at 09:42:04 AM
Reply: In 2005 it was discovered that people who worked in the APD evidence room had been stealing property and the chief of police, Gilbert Gallegos, and others in authority had been covering it up. The list of valuable property that had been sold at auction or "taken to the dump," (another way of saying employees took it home with them), included such items as a $15,000 plasma television set, which was seized as evidence in a white-collar crime investigation and was supposed to be returned to the owner after the trial. Evidence room personnel said they “took the TV to the dump” because it had a crack in it.

There was instant retaliation against the whistleblowers, while the culprits got off scott free. Experts were imported from California to analyze the evidence room problems, and one of their suggestions was “Stop storing so much stuff!” Although valuable items were missing, (one woman had already filed a law suit claiming police had “misplaced” $100,000 worth of her family jewelry), there were over one million pieces of evidence crammed into the APD storage area.

The evidence room managers began to dispose of the items by selling them on E-Bay. The threat of a major purge threw us into a panic about the items from Kait’s desk. Her personal property, including her telephone book, snapshots, and correspondence, might easily be considered disposable after fifteen years. We submitted yet another request for their return, citing our concern for their safety. At that point, the new District Attorney, Kari Brandenberg, agreed that we could have them. Dung’s correspondence with his contacts in Vietnam was missing from the sack of materials, but we now have pictures of the car wreck participants in California. Not that they have any value, since the statute of limitations on the insurance fraud has long since run out.

13 Bodies

Question: I completely agree no matter what walk of life those woman were on they didn't deserve that nor did their families. My point was that APD didn't see it as an importance and that is why although 17 women went missing during that time we didn't hear of any of them., and we are talking about a serial killer in our town. Way to go APD once again. Had we heard of them half these women could have been saved, maybe they would have their guard up.

Asked on Thursday, March 05, 2009 at 09:27:24 AM
Reply: According to the Albuquerque Journal, police say they did everything possible to find those missing women, (just as they "followed every leaf in the wind" in Kait's case).

For an example of this type of "thorough investigation," go to www.Realcrimes.com and scroll down to the link to the Teresa Reyes case. I interviewed Teresa's mother and helped her write that account, and then I sat there and cried.

FYI

Question: on www.kob.com they are doing a poll on APD. and what people think of them. I posted a comment about their coruption and said GOOD EXAMPLE THE KAITLYN ARQUETTE MURDER IN 1989. Then someone put a link to Kaits web site and it has stirred up a little conversation. Just thought you'd like to know.

Asked on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 at 02:11:51 PM
Reply: Hooray for you! I tried to locate that poll on line, but the KOB Web site is difficult to research, and I may have gotten there too late. I didn't find the poll posted there, but would you let us know the results?

Response to post about 13 prostitutes

Question: The two identified women were in fact drug users and or prostitutes. They interviewed family members and they did confirm that. I don't believe there is any relation to the Kaitlyn case other than unfortunately the two cases are in the hands of an incompetent police department. The reason I say this is during 2004 and 2005 17 women fitting the same profile turned up missing and yet we never heard of this case until a women walking her dog found a human bone, which lead to the finding of 13 bodies.
I didn't mean to impose on this message board Ms. Duncan, I just needed to vent my frustration with APD. I'm a life time resident in Albuquerque, never been arrested or anything like that, but our police department disgusts me.

Asked on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 at 12:44:51 PM
Reply: Those two identified women whose bodies were found may have been drug users and prostitutes, (probably prostitutes in order to finance a drug addiction that they were powerless to control), but their lives were no less important as any other lives. And the families who loved those young women have been living in the same sort of agony as the parents of emotionally healthy squeaky clean, high achievers who vanish into nowhere -- like sweet little blonde Tara Calico, who disappeared several months before Kait's murder, and whose missing person's case was highly publicized and is still on-going. I was in contact with Tara's mother and know the torment she experienced. Tara has never been found, and I've been told that her mother has since died, never knowing what happened to her child. I'm certain the mothers of the victims whose bodies were buried on the mesa experienced identical emotions. My heart breaks for them all.

Movie

Question: Is it not possible to draw a contract that would give you control or approval over how a movie is made, or did you decide against it completely after what happened with "I Know What You Did Last Summer"? Just curious...

I'm also wondering if you or any of the readers/posters here have been following the story about the bodies found at the construction site in/on the west mesa in Albuquerque - Sorry, I don't remember how they phrased the area name. I'm in SD and have only read one article on it linked to at CNN from an ABC affiliate. The article said police believe the only 2 bodies they've identified so far were those of female prostitutes, and I immediately thought, "Yeah, but does anyone believe the police there?". Living in the Northern Plains and never having visited the Southwest, my only exposure to Albuquerque has been from occasionally following Kait's case so I may be some combination of jaded and naive in having the impression that NM in general and Albuquerque specifically have crime and corruption problems. Anyway, I was just wondering if you see that case possibly having connections to Kait's or any of the others on the real crimes website?

Asked on Friday, February 27, 2009 at 03:21:00 PM
Reply: There are very few authors with enough heft to demand that sort of contract. Film studios want total control over the "product," and the changes they make in the stories they option are dictated by what they think will have the most box office appeal.

Yes, I'm aware of the tragic find on the Albuquerque mesa. I don't see any possible connection with Kait's case, as she didn't "go missing," but I'm fearful that one of the victims might possibly turn out to be Teresa Reyes, whose case is on our Real Crimes site at www.realcrimes.com. Teresa disappeared during that time frame.

FROM KAIT'S MOTHER -- UPCOMING RADIO SHOW

Question: Kait’s case is going to be featured on the radio blog, “When Justice Fails,” on both Monday, March 2, and Monday, March 9. You’re invited to both listen and participate.

The show will be recorded live at 7 p.m. PST in Washington state, (meaning that for those on the East Coast, it will be 10:00 p.m., and for those of you in Albuquerque it will be 8:00 p.m.)

All you have to do is go on line and log in to www.blogtalkradio.com/Jerry-C-Berry, sign in and hit the play button. On the first segment, March 2, you’ll hear Kait’s dad and me interviewed by Jerry Berry, a former detective with the Lewis County Sheriff’s Department, who quit the department rather than take part in a cover-up involving one of his cases. The following week, we’ll be joined by our private investigator for more discussion of Kait's case.

At about 20 minutes after the hour, the show will open to phone calls from listeners. You can call in by dialing 646-727-3643 and either ask questions or share your own comments and insights.

The blog will stay up indefinitely, but your live participation will need to take place in real time. Please spread the word to others with an interest in Kait’s case.

Asked on Friday, February 27, 2009 at 10:43:26 AM

Movie

Question: What if someone wanted to make this book into a movie? Who killed my daughter could be a good movie...
Lets make movie.

Asked on Friday, February 27, 2009 at 07:34:32 AM
Reply: I've turned down several offers from producers who wanted to option Kait's story because I don't want to risk their creating a "Hollywood ending." Which is what they would do, since I can't yet give them a real ending.

back 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 next